Tap and Die Set

I have long taken that as referring to a wire-drawing die - rather than threaded sort. Not heard of a wire-drawing tap. (Wine- or beer-drawing, yes!) :-)

Reply to
polygonum

If I didn't have other calls on money as well, I might agree. We each have to find our own price/quality points. And if I get an adequate set, but find that the 4mm tap breaks or whatever after fair use, I might consider a higher quality replacement.

Reply to
polygonum

Quite. Many of the 'top brands' rely on tool snobbery for their high price

- the quality often doesn't justify it.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

VEBLEN

fred

Try a proper engineering or model engineering supplier such as

, or even Axminster.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

Good to learn new words!

"The quality remains long after the price is forgotten." :-)

However, many people remember:

Being made bankrupt by paying far too much for something they could not afford.

Being made a complete idiot by someone grossly over-selling and over-charging.

Being unable to use their amazing super-whatsit because spare parts are unavailable/cost too much.

Managing to buy something that works perfectly well for them at a decent price - and keeping the significant price difference in their pocket.

Reply to
polygonum

I've found the taps and dies fine in the Lidl set, but the tap holder isn't great. It's not as bad as some cheap crap, but not great. Luckily, I have a decent tap holder I'd bought or acquired some decades ago, when decent quality was taken for granted.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Thanks.

I mentioned Axminster in my original post.

Chronos have lots of sets. Almost all are UNC, UNF, BSW, BSF, BSP, NPT, BA, mixed. I really only want metric. And the only suitable set in a technical sense is way over my price band.

Reply to
polygonum

"buy cheap, buy twice."

=93The pleasure of a low price is short-lived, but the recollection of poor service will last a lifetime=94

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

Well taps dance ;-)

I thought the die in this case reffered to a single die where dice is 2 die, in that a single dice shoukld be totally random and 'honest' when thrown in a game. Obviously not wieghted in any way

Reply to
whisky-dave

No, not quite. There were possibly a couple of occasions where, if the money was available, I might have.

See above, but I usually spot a shyster sales weasel.

Hmm... been caught by that, but not at the top end of the market.

Yes. And freeing up money for more much-needed gadgets.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

I bought the same set a couple of years ago, no complaints here.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

As whisky-dave says, it is the other sort of die - a cube with dots on each face. An alternative form is true as a die.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

But that spoils the beer & wine comment. :-(

I can go along with "smooth as a die" - but why the switch over to Straight (apparently in the USA)?

Reply to
polygonum

Presumably from true => honest => straight, as in 'going straight'.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

Probably half a groat, or an apprentice's wages.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Look at eBay and also Adtrader ... My local Technical College has closed its workshops - everything sold off .... my neighbour just bought a decent Lathe and a mint condition Horizontal milling machine .....

I have a pedestal grinder and may yet get a fairly chunky pillar drill

Reply to
Rick Hughes

a tool steel as a minimum.

Also just took a look on eBay the problem with most of the sets is that they are die nuts ... OK for cleaning up a damaged thread, but you need a proper split die to cut new threads.

Reply to
Rick Hughes

Grr!", they were clearing out a works dept at a local hospital some while ago, there was a tasty Edward's trucut guillotine there quite a small one and bending press.. Asked if they were throwing them out could I have them? Yep sure no problem it seemed..

Works manager changed just before they closed, all went out in a skip;((...

Reply to
tony sayer