Tanking behind a retaining wall?

I'm planning on building a 1 metre high retaining wall using 4 in concrete blocks laid face down. I hadn't planned to, but I now see

it should have tanking behind it. Is this really necessary for a garden wall?

Thanks,

Neil

Reply to
Neil Bush

says it should have tanking behind it.

================= I think the suggested membrane is to prevent the bricks deteriorating rather than to create a 'tanked' enclosure. I don't think the wall could be described as 'tanked' since it's got drainage holes. My front garden wall was built more than 60 years ago without a membrane and it's still in good condition. You're not building Hadrian's Wall so go ahead without the membrane as your concrete blocks are unlikely to suffer especially as they're sometimes used as footings.

Cic.

Reply to
Cicero

Ah, just what I was hoping to hear. Thanks for that.

Neil

Reply to
Neil Bush

But it may be worth your while putting a water-proof render on the outside, useing a Sika additive.

Reply to
Mark

Deterioration & weeping may occur at the mortar joints. The cost of 1 roll of Visqueen or equivalent is very low. Cormaic's advice is usually spot on so I _would_ use it.

Reply to
Toby

OK, thanks for the advice chaps.

Neil Bush

You also need to drain the water out the bottom on the wall. The soil is not heavey, but the water is.

Rick

Reply to
Rick Dipper

Aparently the water forces this off the wall, the waterproofing has to be on banked side.

Rick

Reply to
Rick Dipper

deteriorating

was hoping to hear.

on banked side.

Um that?s what I meant, outside=earth side.. but obviously didn?t say it clearly enough. ;-)

Reply to
Mark

Toby wrote

I don't know about the weep pipes though. Can you actually get 20mm copper pipe? And in a damp situation like this, in direct contact with cement, the copper won't last very long at all unless it's protected. I think I'd go for plastic myself.

Peter

Reply to
Peter Taylor

Sounds spot on, my folks had a wall that just uses mortar gaps. Been there

20+ years with no problems.
Reply to
Toby