Tank Connector Tool

Is there a tool available for holding lugged tank connectors when tightening up the fixing nut when you are on you own and can't reach both side at the same time?

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Mole grip?

Reply to
GB

SWMBO (well, it's what I used).

Reply to
Bob Eager

Yes, as others have said, mole grips. This is a job I have done recently myself, and I did so by locking the mole grips onto the lugs of the tank connector. I then turned the fixing nut until the mole grips inside engaged with the side of the tank - and with them held there you can quite easily tighten up the fixing nut.

Reply to
Farmer Giles

The cat is in charge of the moles, though she prefers voles. B-)

That's what I used the previous time but I got a most definate "not on your life" look when I gently explored that posibilty this time.

Completely different tank though, the old one was a tall and narrowish plastic water butt this one is a 3' x 2'6 x 3' high old galvanised water tank, plenty of room inside.

Mole grips, yes! Don't have any which is probably why I didn't think of them... Still I just about managed to get things "tight enough" yesterday and with the washer and mating faces covered in Fernox LS-X it ain't leaking this morning, though the tank only has a foot of water in so far from last nights rain.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

I once sent SWMBO up into the kitchen roof space to pull a cable from the main building. I had a bad back at the time (really).

OK, she *was* 7 months pregnant at the time...

Reply to
Bob Eager

No moles? How can you show your face here!

:-)

Reply to
newshound

We have moles, little black furry things that dig up the "lawn".

As for mole grips as I said that's the cats job.

I've never had a set of mole grips, until now not found any need for them that isn't catered for by a set of spanners, adjustable spanner or water pump pliers. I *think* there might be a pair in the limited set of tools that came with SWMBO'd.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

She will stop reminding you about it eventually. Promise.

... but hopefully you both still have many years left.

Reply to
Martin Bonner

According to a stock photo, these are Mole Grips, but that can't be right:

We call locking pliers Vise Grips or Vice Grips. I use them all the time, especially when grinding lots of metal off.

Reply to
Matty F

"Mole" wrenches are/were specifically made by (W?) Mole in, ISTR, Birmingham.

Reply to
Frank Erskine

I use it as a generic term , as in Hoover or Henry.

Wikilies asy this:-

"The first locking pliers, named Vise-Grips, were invented by William Petersen in De Witt, Nebraska in 1924.[1] Mole grips were developed by Thomas Coughtrie in 1955, then managing director of M. K. Mole and Son"

So, British ones would be Mole Grips, and American ones, Vise-Grips

What the picture shows, I call water pump pliers.

Reply to
John Williamson

Can't help imagining the funeral of the US chap: "Our dearly beloved and sadly departed William, after a long life dedicated to vice..."

Reply to
polygonum

The postmark used to read: "Newport - home of the Mole Wrench"

Reply to
charles

Water pump pliers.

That'll be an American influence rather than Britsh.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

No thats not a Mole wench, more called Gas Pliers IIRC..

This is a Mole wrench but they term them self locking pliers which is as good a title!...

Reply to
tony sayer

Not Gas Pliers they are similar to Engineers Pliers but without the serated nose area and a larger rounder opening. IMHO all these descriptions/names are correct:

Dave Liquorice

When Mole did them they were never called Mole Grips - always a "Mole Wrench".

Reply to
Frank Erskine

In article , Frank Erskine scribeth thus

We always called them Mole grips dad, uncles, and misc other mechs.....

Reply to
tony sayer