Tamper-proof screws: I know I shouldn't but...

I have an old Micra and a Polo that both need a tweak on the throttle stop screw. I can't seem to find a tool shape that engages the screw (apart from the fact that they have made them cunningly inaccessible). How does the trade do it?

Reply to
OldScrawn

Try uk.rec.cars.maintenance, there are some knowledgeable people there. It might help if you gave us a bit of a clue as to what shape the screw head is (if you can see it of course).

-- Malc

Reply to
Malc

Torx?

Reply to
Peter Parry

Bit of a coincidence too. This got anything to do with the diesel/petrol thread?

Reply to
Michael McNeil

my old VW was full of torx screws

Reply to
Dave

find out why the speed has. Are they carb or injection?

Thanks all for the comments, will try the car newsgroup. Both are carburretor. Can't really see clearly enough; they seem to be too small for the Screwfix tamperproof bits.

The Polo has just had an MOT and I guess they tweaked the tuning to meet the emission regs and it stalls randomly as it is warming up. New plugs and points and timing is correct. The Micra is off to the scrapper next week but I suspect that the auto choke is screwed up, not worth spending time or money to sort, but half a turn on the screw would make it more driveable.

Reply to
OldScrawn

Are they screws at all ? Some carbs (mainly Fords, IMHE) used a standard screw at the bottom of a hole, but stuck a plastic bung in over the top. No matter how much you try, you can't adjust the bung...

Reply to
Andy Dingley

No, I've already broken the plastic protector trying to get it off!

Reply to
OldScrawn