tall retaining wall

I need to build a tall ( about 1.5m) retaining wall. The soil is very stony and compacted and the upper surfaces used only by foot traffic.

I'm planning a 500mm wide trench for foundations. Then a course of concrete blocks on their sides to form a wall 200mmm thick.

This will be faced by a dry stone wall also 200mm thick possibly with the backs of the stones set in mortar.

My questions are:- Is this generally a sound idea? How deep should the foundations be?

Reply to
Nick Brooks

It depends on how much weight you want to be able to hold back and the angle of any slope that is pushing against the wall.

If the wall is to hold back a slope at the bottom of a hill, then you may need to allow for drainage holes along the length and the height of the brickwork so that the whole thing is not washed away in torrent of built up dam water.

More details needed on this to give any kind of suitable suggestions.

Reply to
BigWallop

The ground above the wall slopes slightly down but has been dug out to provide a seating area at the back of the house. I was planning to put drainage holes in the wall and am also planning to dig a soakaway at the lower level.

At the moment the ground has been dug and naturally forms a slope of about 15 degrees to the vertical

Reply to
Nick Brooks

Then it might be a good idea to have a look around this website and start off by going here:

BigWallop