talking of roofing...

... how do the professionals deal with re-roofing a curved roof?

We've got a barn at home with such a roof (same style as the following:

which needs some TLC, but it's reasonably high - about 40' or so - and due to the curvature might be tricky to scaffold (or at least I suspect it's a lot easier to bugger about with ladders and the like on a roof with flat sections!)

I've wondered about a big cherry-picker, or just good 'ol climbing ropes (the manual approach ;) but I'm curious as to what a real roofing company would likely do?

cheers

Jules

Reply to
Jules

they would scaffold front and back and then probably use ropes to get up and down the actual roof - the scaffold would only act as a 'catchment', should anyone take a tumble. This type of roof is done with shingles and not tiles or slates

Reply to
Phil L

Aha, OK. I couldn't see any reason why it couldn't be done with ropes, I just expected they'd have a higher tech solution in this day and age :-)

I'm not sure how high the average cherry-picker goes, so I wasn't certain that'd have enough reach anyway.

Yep - although I think it's possible to use metal cladding too, but that's not something I've looked into yet; I think it might work out cheaper, but I don't know if it'd be as durable as shingles.

cheers

Jules

Reply to
Jules