Talk the torque.

  • A 2kg SDS drill with roto stop - I have the Kress which is top quality and recommended.
  • A Hilti drill/driver [1] Or a Kress/Wickes high torque drill/angle drill that may eliminate the mains angle drill below.
  • A good impact driver (essential these days as it can also drill)
  • A cheap £10-15 variable speed mains drill for occasional use.
  • A mains angle drill. Silverline make a cheapy for occasional use, However DeWalt and Makita make good expensive versions. However the Impact Driver may eliminate the need for one of these as it is so small.

That is the drilling

  • Probably a Bosch Fein thingy for cutting floor boards and awkward things.
  • Good quality circular saw - Skill make a good well price one, and Lidl sell a good Parkside one too, a low price.
  • If the need a jig-saw. Lidl make a top quality one for around £20, otherwise a top quality Makita.
[1] The Hilti drill/drivers are superb. A mains Makita 110v SDS cannot drill 6.5mm masonry holes as fast as a Hilti 15.6v battery hammer drill. Above 6.5mm SDS is better. That is why they are the choice of real professionals. One drill driver will give most of what many journeymen will want all in one drill in his bag with no mains leads. Not cheap but the best. For men who use them all and every day and time is money.
Reply to
Doctor Drivel

You must eff off as you are a total plantpot.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

I can only come to the conclusion that dribble does little in the way of DIY or indeed any practical work given the rubbish he talks about such things.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

They were not. They were being pushed by Screwfix and B&Q with full displays of the ONE+ system. Read the thread.

They have been around for a good 10 years and more, but costed a fortune, so only pros used them who needed to use them.

In hardish wood? No way. That requires an Impact Driver or high torque mains drill.

It is an Impact Driver.

Look around, any around £60-70 are available. The Riyobi is £60-70, although bare and many deals of £100 with combi and Impact Drivers are around.

They drill into wood superbly and I use one to drill between joists they are so short. The light is very handy.

For most drilling it will work fine. There is a hex shaft small chuck available and using Bosch multi drill bits an Impact Driver will drill through walls as well. Superb for tradesmen only wanting one tool.

You have not used one in earnest. I rarely use anything but the Impact Driver these days.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

That's fine if you have the funds when starting off - but many don't. A decent mains drill costs a lot less than a good cordless one. And assuming occasional DIY stuff the battery will likely be flat anyway when needed.

As regards the Dremel type I use similar ones for hobby stuff (electronics) a great deal - and I did say it was a personal choice.

I'm older than you and never chuck stuff out. ;-)

Ah - forgot the pillar drills.

3 x mains drills, two of which are hammer. 1 x SDS. 5 x cordless. 3 x impact - one of which needs a car 12 volt supply. 4 x hobby drills including a cordless one. 1 x PCB pillar drill. 1 x pillar drill.

The total seems to have gone up. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

In article , Dave Plowman (News) scribeth thus

Bloody hell!, your not going to try to take 'em with you when you go;)...

Reply to
tony sayer

For that price you can easily have two excellent quality drills that cover all those functions - plus the added advantage of having one for drilling and one for driving when screwing down floorboards, etc.

I find any combination tool a bit of a pain - it always seems to be in the wrong state for what I want. The Fein Multimaster being a prime example. I'd like another of those to half that probability. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

You mustn't believe everything they tell you. Try visiting a building site and see what is actually common.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

You must eff off as you are atotal plantpot.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Superb for a tradesman, as less to carry. 3.0Ah Li-ion Batteries, 22 minute charger as well. The only problem is that if it fails you are screwed, so a

2 kg SDS is needed as it can do most things in clunky way.
Reply to
Doctor Drivel

The key word is "drill".

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Eff off you are a copmlete plantpot.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Eff off you are a plantpot.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

I'm not into electronics, possibly that's where it becomes useful.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

He keeps the manual under his pillow. The drills are all brand new in teir boxes as the wardens will not let him touch electrical things.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

I had been about to post simiallry - until I read yours. Now I shall go into AOL mode. Me too.

That is actually the joy of the mini Mak as an extra unit alongside my good cordless. Far less pissing about changing over. Far fewer dropped bits.

Reply to
Rod

The Makita BTP140SFE 18v Li-Ion Cordless Impact Driver, is easy to use. You just switch from one mode to the other on the drill and they rechage in 22 minutes. Use Bosch Multi drill bits and you will not even have to change bits going from masonry hammer to drilling in wood. I believe they are now made with hex shanks. I'll have to check. A tradesman on the road would greatly appreciate the Makita.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

But are they any good at driving in screws, though? Now that would be a good trick.

Just love the way everything you like is 'great for tradesmen'. But I'll take the word of a real one over yours any day.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Please eff off you are a plantpot.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Yes that's a reasonable choice for the first three, if I had to start again from scratch I would then go for

  1. Impact drivers x3
  2. angle grinder < funny that's the number of them that I now have>
  3. Dremel type 'hobby' drill/grinder it really depends what you get upto I find I use the cordless impact driver lots for removing stubborn screws, small nuts/bolts. which was the original use for the mechanical impact driver, which I would still not be without.

  1. Air wrench for all the larger nuts/bolts that 4 can't handle.

100. Oxyacetylene cutting torch, when all else fails

-

Reply to
Mark