Talk Talk ?

I am thinking of changing my ISP but am a little concerned who to go to.

Has Talk Talk improved over the last 12 months and do they have call centres in GB...?

TIA

-- the_constructor

Reply to
the_constructor

uk.telecom.broadband =====> that way

You'll get much more info there...!

Reply to
Bob Eager

Google talktalk hell. I am leaving as soon as the contract runs out.

Reply to
cynic

Call centres are in the uk - at the end of a premium(ish) rate number. Based on experience of some of our clients you will get to know them well!

Reply to
John Rumm

the_constructor coughed up some electrons that declared:

Don't know. But I am with Andrews and Arnold (aaisp.co.uk) and they are

*very* clueful. Not the cheapest - but here are a couple of examples of calls from me to them over the last few years:

a) Me: Phones AAISP, lady answers in 15 seconds: Me: My links gone dead, is it you or me? Her: We're having a problem, engineers are rebooting something. Me: Ok, that's all I need to know, I'll wait it out.

10 minutes later, all is well.

b) [Upgrade to ADSL-MAX, the 2Mbit/s cap wasn't being removed after the physical link settled down to 6Mbit/s - waited 3 days]

Me, by email: blah blah, cap still in place; Them in a couple of hours: Could you wait one more day? Me: OK [Next day] Me [still by email]: Nope, still broken, could you ask BT to fix it? Them [hour or two later]: Please bear with us. [Later, within a day IIRC]: BT Engineer calls my mobile; BT bloke: Yeah, this happens sometimes, I've reset some widget at our end. Are you in a position to test it. Me: Sure, give me a moment to ssh into my home system... Me: Yes, that's running at about 6Mbit/s - thanks!

In summary - not cheap, not there outside of business hours, but when you do call them, you do get to speak to intelligent people who don't ask you to reboot Windows, which in itself is worth the cost!

HTH

Tim

Reply to
Tim Southerwood

They own AOL these days. And AOL is one of the best on "ISP Review" whilst TalkTalk is about as bad as they get. I have the phone line with TalkTalk's parent company so could get broadband for free but I would rather pay the money for AOL silver.

However the BBC is seeking to have me cut off from the net so I might be looking for a new host shortly.

I doubt it will be TalkTalk. I doubt that very much.

Reply to
Weatherlawyer

You been a bit rude or something?

clive

Reply to
Clive George

Moi?

Reply to
Weatherlawyer

TT have been fine for me over the last 12 months.

MBQ

Reply to
manatbandq

That's it then. I will sign up no delay.

Reply to
Weatherlawyer

I am surprised that Talk Talk didn't go head to head with Tiscali on here:

douibt that is because no one with the sense to use ISPreview would use TalkTalk?

So why would they use Tiscali?

Reply to
Weatherlawyer

These review sites are of relatively limited value for several reasons:

- ISPs with a larger customer base will experience larger numbers of complaints.

- There is no indication as to whether the problem related to a complaint really is the ISP's fault or is that the customer has finger trouble or expectations beyond what is being provided. That can be because of over-marketing by the provider, or the customer not understanding that speed and connectivity are not completely under the provider's control.

- Like almost all things, the price that the customer pays heavily influences what they get. For example, the entry level providers tend to employ techniques such as traffic shaping, caching and other contention methods. They don't invest in proper support. They economise on peering and transit arrangements and go for poorer SLAs on connectivity. All of this taken together adds up to poorer customer satisfaction especially for customers who have been taken in by the marketing, expect something for nothing, don't know any better and have limited technical ability themselves.

- To some extent, the review sites drive the market. A provider gets a good review or two or comes close to the top of a league. They get lots more customers as a result. If they are then unable to step up the provisioning and support, the service quality drops and people migrate away. Then the provider gets acquired if they are lucky or goes broke if they aren't

Reply to
Andy Hall

The other critical failure of many comparison sites is they take no account of the package that the customer has purchased. This can have a big impact on the level of performance and support that different users get from the same ISP, leading to radically differing views and experiences of them.

Reply to
John Rumm