Taking apart an Ideal Standard shower unit.

We have an Ideal Standard shower unit, installed in 1985. It's one of those contrivances where you pull the single lever out towards you to make it squirt, then rotate it to control the temperature. It's worked very well until recently, but now the flow has reduced itself to not very much. I think either the innards are clogged (although we are in a soft water area) or the lever has developed some lost motion and the valve just isn't opening fully. (The lever might be looser than it was....it's hard to recall)

The problem is, I have failed miserably in my attempts to dismantle the thing. I haven't found out how to get the lever off, or even how to remove the chrome cover. I can remove the 2 screws retaining the latter, bit then progress is impeded by the threaded nipple that the hose screws onto.

Help!

Reply to
DABgp

If the nipple has a hexagonal section or flat bits on opposite sides from each other, then it more than likely unscrews from the rest of the body on the unit.

Reply to
BigWallop

My thermostatic mixer tap comes apart using a very small Allen key. Are there any small holes located around the assembly?

Reply to
Nathan Thompson

Yes...there appears to be an half inch a/f hex allen key hole inside the socket, but so far failed to find sucjh a key or get a grip with a bolt head.

How about getting the lever off? I have remove the plastic shiny disc thing revealing a flat round plate with 2 slots, but can't get any further.

Reply to
DABgp

I think the shiny plate is only decoration and that the lever is simply pulled off. It may need a little prizing with a screw driver behind the edge but, don't force it of course, it should come off with just a good pull.

Reply to
BigWallop