Taking a 2 section ladder in a car

Hi,

Could you urgently answer these three questions:

Would a 2 section ladder that is about 3.25 metres fit into a Vauxhall Vectra (hatchback)? How best to secure it considering I do not have a roof rack? Is it legal to have the ladder hanging out of the car or will I get stopped?

Thanks, Vivek

Reply to
vivekmarwaha

No

Don't even try. Go buy a rack.

You will get stopped if seen. If you try make sure you have a duster fluttering on the sticking out end. It might help/

Reply to
EricP

|! |!Hi, |! |!Could you urgently answer these three questions: |! |!Would a 2 section ladder that is about 3.25 metres fit into a Vauxhall |!Vectra (hatchback)?

Remove the passenger headrest, then measure your hatchback *carefully*. Length, width and thickness are all important. Or take the car down to the shop and con them into letting you **TRY** it. Remember that you must be able to close the door and secure it somehow.

My small ladder is a three section, bought especially for the job and only

*just* goes into my Fabia estate. |!How best to secure it considering I do not have a roof rack? |!Is it legal to have the ladder hanging out of the car or will I get |!stopped?

If *anything* overhangs the outline of a car, you *must* attach warning device attached wherever it overhangs, I have had no problems using supermarket plastic bags or bits of white cloth as warnings, but special boards are available.

Reply to
Dave Fawthrop

Thanks for that information. Have now secured an estate for the pick- up.

Reply to
vivekmarwaha

I can get a two section in my Polo (like a biggish step ladder size)

Recline the passenger seat fully and lay it from the footwell backwards - lots of room. :-)

Mark S.

Reply to
Mark S.

In message , Mark S. wrote

Extend ladder fully. Feed in via drivers window and let excess hang out of the passenger window.

Reply to
Alan