take scrap but no pay

I have a few old car batteries and copper piping (all my own stuff) and thought to take it to a scrappy - maybe get something for it. I've no idea if it's worth the effort but what the heck. Anyway looking around I came across this scrappy site

And on it it says "Due to the new Laws that came into force, we can no longer pay for any scrap metal." He collects it for free but doesn't pay anything because of the law! But what if *I take it* to a scrap yard? Any legal folk here know what this is all about? I thought there was/is a big demand for copper. I can provide ID etc to prove it's mine.

Reply to
michael newport

You need to be registered I think. If they give cash on the nail they can be done for it. I'm not certain they are being totally honest though as you say you can prove its yours, so they cannot just say it was brought in by a traveller in his pick up. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

I thought the reason is that they need to get all sorts of ID details these days, and store them, before they can make a payment. Like for money laundering. Presumably, that's just not worthwhile for a couple of batteries and some copper piping.

We had a week without telephone because some scrotes stole the telephone cable. 500m of it with about 1500 lines. That's about a ton of copper apparently, so worth some thousands of pounds. Anything that makes it harder to cash that in for scrap is a good move.

Reply to
GB

He's talking rubbish.

You can get (quite a lot of) money for old car/lorry batteries, our local scrapyard pays around 50p/kilo.

What the scrapyard *can't* do now is pay you in cash, you have to be paid into a bank account *and* you have to provide proof of identity, e.g. one utility bill and a passport or photo driving licence.

Reply to
cl

GB wrote

The big metal thieves are filling containers and sending the stuff abroad. There's hardly any checks on container movements.

Reply to
Jabba

The law they refer to says they're not allowed to pay *cash* for scrap metal, but have to either give you a cheque or credit your bank account electronically. They also, IIRC, need prof of your address, and they'll probably ask you to sign a form saying you've not stolen it.

It was introduced to help stop people stealing scrap and getting untraceable cash for it.

However, if they don't want to pay in any way for scrap, then there is probably someone who will not too far away, subject to the rules. They may, of course, claim the collection costs outweigh the value if you don't take it in. Where I lived, we had scrappers rouns every day doing free collection runs, and they then went and sold the metal to the local scrap dealer. You got it cleared for free, but didn't get paid for it.

Reply to
John Williamson

Scrap yards will still pay, only they may only pay by cheque and you will need to provide ID.

Reply to
John Rumm

It sounds like a scam. They can pay you but not in cash. Take it to a proper scrap yard and take your bank details with you.

Reply to
dennis

He's a chancer.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Has anyone thought about pointing out the typo (The missing word "cash") in his advert to him?

Reply to
John Williamson

so are all "house clearers"

tim

Reply to
tim.....

Take it to a metal merchant - they pay - but only after checking your ID and only into a bank account.

Reply to
Tim Watts

I had a growing collection of copper&brass plumbing, cables and aluminium, took to to the local "pikey-gone-straight" who has a unit on an industrial estate with a set of scales and a PC.

The law *has* been changed so that you can't pay cash for metals now, but all I did was give him my sort code and account number, there was £57 in my bank by the time I got home.

Got paid the rates shown on the letsrecycle.com site.

Reply to
Andy Burns

Agree, I have no problem taking scrap metal and cable to a scrap yard and getting paid by cheque with ID.

Reply to
Robert

Take it to a Scrap merchant in Scotland. Cash in hand.

Reply to
Yendor

They aren't allowed to pay cash any more, you get a crossed cheque made out to yourself in most cases. So there is now a money trail that can be followed. Cuts down on the thievery.

Reply to
harryagain

I wouldn't give no pikey my bank details.

Get a cheque off him. They need some ID and take your car number too.

Reply to
harryagain

What are they going to do with it, pay me more money? Everyone you've ever written a cheque to has your sort code & account number.

This one didn't see any ID but said it'd be nice if I brought some next time, didn't notice him taking reg no, but they could easily have CCTV.

Reply to
Andy Burns

And receive dodgy notes that are no good to those living south of the border.

Reply to
The Other Mike

Then you've got *his* bank details.

Reply to