Take cable scrap to the scrappy! ?

I have dustbin full of cable offcuts (years of acculated bits - coax to t&e). Is this worth taking to the scrapyard [The Recycling Technicians Establishment] these days? The cables still have insulation on so maybe would just look a right idiot turning up there.. "yoy mus be jokin' mate"!

Reply to
dave

They'll give you about 45% of the weight as copper.

Reply to
Andy Burns

If theres more than the one around in your area phone them for a quote first and argue the price. They will pay as little as they can for it if you let them of course;!..

Copper seems to have dropped back a bit of late Heavy copper i.e. solid metal is paying quite a bit more then wire at the moment..

Reply to
tony sayer

En el artículo , Andy Burns escribió:

That's handy to know, thanks. I have a huge pile of part-used drums of cable to get shut of.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

Would they make more on ebay perhaps?

Reply to
dave

En el artículo , dave escribió:

I think the cost of postage would make it uneconomic. Actually, I was going to take a pile of junk to a car boot sale in the near future, so will see if the cable goes then.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

I wouldn't bother unless you have the space on your table. I took about 25 metres of cooker cable to a cbs with a price of =A312 on it. I thought that was realistic given the new vs scrap value. Not even sniff from the chancers who would normally say "I'll give you 50p for it". Don't bother with ebay either, just weigh it in yourself.

Dave

Reply to
Dave Starling

Probably fetch more on eBay ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

Few years ago I was told by one genius at a cbs that a camera labelled up as "Digital camera - £1" "that's not a digital camera mate - nah that's a 35mm camra". I explained it was made to look like a 35mm (it was a cheapo plastic thing but worked fine). His reply... "nah that's a 35mm camra". He then tried to open the fake film door to show us where the fim went in

- but of course it wouldnt open. I said well ok - then I suppose you wouldn't need this usb cable that plugs into it either? Then of course it was "too expensive" :-)

Reply to
dave