Tacwise 500EL Electric Nailer, any good?

I have a ton of wood flooring to put down and the through of doing it the manual way is not filling me with joy so I was thinking of getting an electric nailer. I would dearly love a compressor one but storage for the compressor would be an issue, plus noise, lugging it into the loft etc etc.

So, I was wondering if anyone knew if this nailer was any good:

if it was worth the extra 35 quid over this one:
for any comments/advice

Seri

Reply to
Seri

I think the cheapie one is very similar to the one I have. For flooring? I wouldn't have thought it was up to the job. If nothing else, the brads are just too wimpy. Tacking things together? It's fine.

I have no idea about the expensive one.

Reply to
Rod
18 gauge brads - about 1mm diam? That really isn't sufficient to secure floorboards.

A Paslode IM350 using 2.8mm * 60mm nails (or 3 times the thickness of your board) would be a common tool for through-nailing floorboards.

Reply to
dom

> and if it was worth the extra 35 quid over this one:

> Thanks for any comments/advice

I have the 191 model and its a good tool for pinning backs on flatpack or stapling down 3mm hardboard, but 18 guage brads are no good for flooring.

Compressor could be left away from the work area & longer hoses used, but you would need to go to much bigger nails - different ball game.

You mentioned the loft - is the flooring just chipboard loft panels or decorative?

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

I have to say, once again, a thanks to uk.d-i-y, if nothing else, the answers allowed me to set my expectations low enough to avoid disappointment.

That said, I did purchase said item, and it's surprisingly blooming good. Securing loft chipboard to joists with the 40mm brads was a breeze. Securing the solid oak flooring to the new chipboard, perfect (I did nail along the tongue at a 45 degree angle in the tongue and groove so it wasn't full depth). Just thought I'd say thanks and share my thoughts on the item after 6 hours use.

Oh, it also secured some skirting straight into brick without a problem. The only issue with the thing is that I'm now wandering round the house looking for things to nail...

Cheers once again.

Seri

Reply to
Seri

I have one of the Tacwise nailers, it's very good for the purpose for which it was designed. It's not designed to secure floorboars and that would be an inappropriate use of the nailer. If you want to make lightweight doors, fix thin ply over a frame or knock up picture frames it's good enough and reliable.

I have a small T-head air nailer equivalent to the Tacwise for light work. For the heavy work I use a compressor and a framing nail gun capable of firing round head nails up to 4mm. The compressor that I use is a NuAir luggable unit which has a pocket at the back to store a nail gun, spares and hoses. It's quiet enough to use inside and easier than running my diesel far compressor outside then runnign long airlines into the house.

Reply to
Steve Firth