table saw recommendations 2010

That's interesting, I think PPro (B&Q?) gets a bad name here but perhaps I should look out for one next time they have a 15% off voucher? Cicero mentioned a B&Q model too.

Reply to
Fred

Sorry for being thick, but what do you mean by unaided? Unaided by another person or unaided without modifications: table extensions and sand bags, etc?

I thought table saws would be very useful for cutting 8x4 sheets to a usable size but only if you could extend the table with something big enough to support the sheet being cut. Like others have said, this is only practical if you have a lot of space and a circular saw is probably easier.

I hadn't thought about the saw tipping; sand bags would definitely be a good idea.

Reply to
Fred

In message , Fred writes

Consider thickness.... 20mm ply is ?? heavy. Resting on your saw table about 7' is unsupported other than by you. Assuming you are able to feed at a steady rate the slightest sideways movement loads the fence (which is why others have suggested clamping the free end). After 5' or so you need to be at the other end or the sheet will tip.

Conversely 6mm ply is flimsy. You are 7' away from where the action is and probably holding the stuff well above table level. If you let go halfway the sheet will bow and probably disengage the blade.

You either need an extra pair of hands or a smooth supporting surface each end.

Yes. Supplied saw guides are useless for wide cuts. Follow up the saw board suggestions.

Or trap the saw with your front and back supports.

regards

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Ian Kirby, "The Accurate Table Saw"

Andy Dingley

ive ordered the book, after iv got it i buy a table saw.

(we were pushing a fat bit of wood through my aldi table saw a few weeks ago when there was a burning smell and it stopped working)

[g]
Reply to
george [dicegeorge]

If power is marginal, consider getting one of the extra-thin CMT blades (Axminster)

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Obscure and out of print book, that I picked up recently in a secondhand bookshop.

Mark Duginske and Karl Eichorn - The Inca Woodworking Machinery Handbook. 1984 ISBN 3-906495 01 9

Most of these "The Tablesaw Book" (or "the bandsaw/workbench/chisel/ screwdriver book") are heavy on glossy pictures, light on real content.

The one I mention above is much more "technical book" - so it might be worth checking out what else the authors have produced.

Reply to
dom

Sorry to everyone for being so thick. I hadn't appreciated how heavy

8'x4' sheets were. I bought a sheet of chipboard the other day and was taken by surprise at how heavy it was. Now I understand! Thanks.
Reply to
Fred

As previously suggested the table saw is very handy for precise ripping of small sections. For sheet materials, unless you have a van and lots of space, get the merchant to cut them to size.

Reply to
Stuart Noble

Yet another benefit of good quality birch ply - both lighter and stronger.

Reply to
Andy Dingley