T5 Ballast

Slightly OT, but DIY
I wish to change the tubes in my aquarium from T8 (i.e regular 1inch) to the new high output T5 tubes.
To do so, I will need to replace the ballast in the light fittings? Any idea where I can pick up a cheap 39w T5 compatable ballast?

Electrical wholesaler. Ballasts will not be suitable for housing in the aquarium unless you get special ones designed for high humidity enviroment. Leads between electronic ballasts and the tubes must be kept short, and T5 tubes can only be driven by electronic ballasts. This means it might not be easy to find something suitable for an aquarium which is either in a high humudity case or allows the ballast to be mounted remotely.
BTW, are you planning on getting sunglasses for the fish?
--
Andrew Gabriel

2x 20w Halogen bulbs would beef up your light level, be sure to use enclosed bulbs. Sounds easier, long as the lids not plastic.
Regards, NT