Syphoning

Is there any simple little tools, devices, makeshift gizmos that can get a syphon going without having to suck? The reason I ask, needed to get some diesel out of the van the other day, usual tactic, plastic tube and suck till you get a mouthful, easy enough! but two days later if i burp I can still taste the stuff!

Reply to
Stuart

If you can fill the tube somehow (funnel, tip diesel in?) with the end you suck higher than the other end, you can quickly drop the 'suck end low and it'll syphon.

In the same way, to siphon a bath with a hose, attach the hose to the outside tap, with it running in the window into tha bath, unhook the tap end downstairs (you'll get wet!), and the water will drain

Reply to
David P

Aquarium shops and also CPC sell small plastic syphon pumps for a few pounds--£3 IIRC.

Regards Capitol

Reply to
Capitol

Push all the pipe down into the tank, put thumb over end, and pull out tube. Tube will now be full of diesel. You can now drop end with thumb below level of tank, remove thumb and you should have a syphon.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

That only works if you hand is thin enough to fit down the filler pipe (or you have a lot of spare pipe, and it is flexible enough, so that you can push under the liquid, and so fill, more than twice the length from the surface of the fuel to the top of the filler pipe).

Reply to
Nick Atty

I'm sure I've seen a device somewhere with a little piston inside the tube on the end of a piece of string which passes through the tube. You feed the piston end of the tube into the liquid, pull it out the other end with the string, and the liquid follows it.

Reply to
Set Square

That's it, brilliant idea, just love the simplicity of it, must make one.

Reply to
Stuart

a small piece of sponge on a piece of welding rod could do this in the workshop i simply blow the airline across the end of the syphon pipe which causes vacuum

Reply to
mindwipe

Oi Mate ..... I think you may have just invented the carburettor!

Reply to
Stuart

No special pistons needed, 4' plastic pipe, bit of string with a piece of cloth tied to the end, the water just follows it up the tube!

Cheers "Set Square" sometimes the simplist of ideas are the best!

No more burping Diesel or Petrol for days on end!

Reply to
Stuart

On Thu, 30 Jun 2005 23:47:40 +0100,it is alleged that "Stuart" spake thusly in uk.d-i-y:

[snip]

Someone patent it, fast, before microsoft do!

Reply to
Chip

The first two bits of advice are even more relevant to siphoning petrol!

Reply to
Stuart

In message , Stuart writes

Try a yacht chandlers.

Reply to
Richard Faulkner

Use transparent tube?

Reply to
Lobster

You can get 12v pumps that come on the end of a tube - the pump end has a little filter and is small enough to drop down into the tank. You then simply pump the diesel out. Maybe a bit overkill when syphoning will do the trick - but if its something you do often then it would certainly be worth it.

Reply to
Richard Conway

Having filled a diesel van with petrol recently I found the easiest method was to use the tube and bulb used to start an outboard engine from a portable fuel tank. You can keep squeezing which is quicker or just leave it to syphon.

Reply to
Paul Mc Cann

In message , Set Square writes

Cheap and cheerful - substitute a tampon (Tampax) for the little piston, and just tie a longer piece of string to the string already provided. Thread through a few feet of garden hose. Job done. Done it loads of times :-)

Reply to
Graeme Eldred