Synthetic marble, Corian, marble effect - cheapest options?

I'm after some nice looking marble effect material for the side pieces of an amplifier. The side pieces are 4" in height and 1ft front to back. Thickness right now is 2" because I have 2x4 timber sides, but could be 1" with a marble type material. I need to be able to cut it, unless I can get it pre-cut. I also need to drill four M4 holes in it to fasten it on. So what are my choices? Obviously I want something that looks good, but I want to keep cost down, and a workable material would be nice. Andy

Reply to
Eusebius

I've dug up a couple of other materials - see below: Silestone is artificial or reconstituted Quartz and pigments held together with a polymer or resin binder. Silestone is a 93% pure quartz material mixed with colour pigments and resins which are compressed in a vacuum to produce a hardwearing material perfect for kitchen worktops. Available in 24 colours, it owes its' popularity, in part, to its resistance to staining and scorching, low maintenance and hygienic properties.

is artificial or reconstituted Quartz and pigments held together with a polymer or resin binder. This results in a highly stain resistant, heat resistant and scratch resistant surface. They are available in a variety of different colours, some of which have tiny, highly reflective chips which gives a sparkling effect. =96 Zodiaq is DuPont's exciting new surfacing material. It is exceptionally strong with sparkling beauty, radiance and a large choice of colours. It is made from 96% Quartz and 4% polymer binder resulting in a versatile material ideal for kitchen worktops. It is very hard, easy to maintain and available in 22 beautiful colours

Reply to
Eusebius

Real marble (or one of any number of stones). It's cheap in small pieces, so long as you're nearby to a stonemason. Even sawing and edge polishing is pretty cheap, if it's only small pieces.

Reply to
Andy Dingley