Sylvania 11W CFL

If they're the equivalent of a 75W GLS lamp, as the packaging says, then I'm Lynford Christie. And given that I'm a rather porky, late middle aged white man ....

Took them out and put the filament bulbs back. I like to be able to *see* when I go for a pee, thanks.

Reply to
Huge

I've got 4x14W CFLs, designed as downlighters[1], replacing 4x25W reflectors. I'd rather have the filament bulbs back since the electricity saving is minimal and the room is gloomy.

Reply to
Steve Firth

[1] Oh yes they are.
Reply to
Steve Firth

Ah, well if you cross your legs for ten mins while they warm up you might be ok ;-)

Reply to
John Rumm

As has been said many times here, multiply by 4, so they'll be equivalent to 44W. Take them back if the packaging mislead you.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Quite, despite them being marked "Quick Start".

Reply to
Huge

I did. They were replacing 40W GLS lamps. Once warmed up they might be equivalent to a 40W, but on initial strike, and they do come on straight away, they're about 15W. By the time they're up to full brightness, I'm finished...

Reply to
Huge

11w would equal 44w incandesant, but go by lumen rating, if you pee outside then remember it can take 15 minutes or more for a cfl to get bright in cold, so you have time before anyone can see you pee on your leg.
Reply to
ransley

I've got some 20W IKEA ones in my bathroom (bought 9 years ago). They are slightly annoying in that you get nothing for about 2 seconds, but then they ping on, not too far from full brightness.

In another bathroom, I built my own using instant-start control gear and 2D 4-pin tubes, which are also much better than most compact fluorescents for their initial cold output.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

IME for many CFLs, 10 mins *is* quick start!

Reply to
John Rumm

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember Huge saying something like:

So, read the paper when you have a shit. Take your time.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Bloody minority groups.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

I hate the pesky things. Nothing worst than changing a two way switch, having carefully made a note of which colours go where, restoring the power - and nothing happens - just when you start to doubt yourself, the bugger comes on!

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Sadly too true these days.

Reply to