SWMBO will not be amused

SWMBO went off to work this morning, happily thinking about the new stainless steel 1.5 bowl sink I was going to fit to replace the yucky white plasticky thing that's been bugging her for a while.

Old plasticky thing wouldn't release from the worktop because of the sealant which was sucking it down, but soon sorted that with a car jack which was able to exert enough pressure to release the sealant around the edges. Everything going according to plan.....

Before doing anything naughty with the plumbing arrangements I thought I'd just drop the new sink into the hole in the worktop to make sure I didn't need to do any cutting. That's when it became apparent that the old hole wasn't suitable for the new sink. And yet these sinks have the same vital dimensions - it's the radius on the corners which is different and I couldn't find a suitable position where the new sink would cover all the hole. Whoever fitted this original sink was a bit too generous with his hole cutting and upon inspection it showed that the old sink sits precariously on the edges of the hole underneath.

Have had to put the old sink back in, but have changed to a new monobloc tap (she didn't like the previous taps either). Now have to await her disappointment when she appears in a couple of hours time.

Looks like I've got to do the whole damn worktop now. This sink sits in the middle of a 4m section. A job for next summer now that the outside temperature is dropping......

Why oh why oh why can't the manufacturers agree on the size of holes for sinks?

Grr......

PoP

Reply to
PoP

You could do what an accquaintance of mine did, leave holes around the edge. Nice it is not but goes well with the rest of his DIY quality :-)

Reply to
BillR

I've not long replaced a yucky SS stink with a blue pastic one, women eh? ;)

Ah, but they are probably on commission with the worktop manufacturers :) :)

Lee

Reply to
Lee Blaver

Euurgh!

Plastic sinks are horrible. They stain like crazy and you can never get them clean. I spent more time washing the sink than the contents until I replaced mine with Stainless Steel. (My new house has a Belfast sink, which is also easy to clean).

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

How about cutting a rectangular section of marine ply big enough to comfortably cover the existing hole. Then cut a hole for the new sink in the ply. Screw and glue the ply in place over the existing hole, then tile it with tiles that coordinate with the current worktop (or maybe plain white). Finally refit the sink. Not perfect, but a) it might go some way towards pacifying SWMBO and b) gives you an excuse to buy an electric tile cutter.

Just a thought Clive

Reply to
Clive Summerfield

This one still looks like new, mind it doesn't get anything in it except water... SHMBO won't use anything that doesn't fit in the dishwasher ;)

I can understand the attraction and practicality of Belfast sinks, but

*personally* I think they are ugly and better suited as planters ;)

Lee

Reply to
Lee Blaver

Another suggestion for a temporary fix....

cut out a new peice of worktop slightly wider than the sink by a few inches at each end, and fit the new sink into it. cut out same size from existing worktop plus 1/8 inch extra or so at each end, then insert new unit using those horrible metal or plastic worktop joining strips.

At least SWMBO gets to use her new sink until you get chance to replace the whole worktop properly....

Reply to
Jon

so what kind of worktop is it?

Reply to
Simon

That is exactly why SWMBO went off to work so happily this morning. In about 20 minutes time I'm going to have to face up to the music.....

PoP

Reply to
PoP

No way. I didn't buy me a brand spanking new Trend T9 router and kitchen worktop jig recently to start putting these manky aluminium joining strips in.....

I'm joining the club of "real" worktop joins from now on......just picked up my first job for one the end of last week.....

PoP

Reply to
PoP

How about a nice hardwood "plinth" that sits under the edge of the sink all the way round the perimeter. That way the sink sits on a small platform that raises it (say) 1/2". That would save you needing to match the worktop finish or from needing to do an invisible join with a bit of new worktop.

A front on view:- __ _____\ plinth-> /______\

------------- \ Worktop \

Reply to
John Rumm

Hadn't really thought of that idea, but it sounds reasonably feasible.

Except that I don't think there's enough gap at the back of the worktop to do the rebate in-situ. And it's a 4m worktop conveniently held in place by tile on 3 sides and a worktop joint at one end - not so easy to whip it out and put it back.

She's home now. Not very happy..... :(

PoP

Reply to
PoP

There's no real reason to rebate the back for a solution that's only going to last until you can replace the worktop and do job properly. You might have difficulty rebating the sides to get into the back corners, but then that's the time when the sharp chisels come out and you finish it off by hand.

Of course, if you hadn't bought such a big router in the first place you'd get a lot closer... ;-)

cheers Richard

-- Richard Sampson

RichardS

i suppose it doesn't really matter what kind of worktop, but I am guessing it's a standard laminated chipboard ...... ANYWAY

get a piece of stainless steel larger than the sink, I doubt it will cost you more than a tenner. put the sink upside down on the steel and mark out adding about half an inch, then mark out to cut the sink in to the steel, cut it all out and take off the sharp edges, and you have yourself a stainless steel sink washer that will fit in perfectly with your sink and cover the gaps.

Reply to
Simon

Mineused to get weekly douse of caustic soda crystalks and a kettle of hot water.

Stoppped it staining, but sadly, the rubber perished and it leaked instead :-)

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

How do you get a woman to go off to work and earn, leaving you to do the easy stuff?

Because they're men.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

I have nine in the garden.

I heard that they fetch a great deal on e-bay ...

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

In message , Mary Fisher writes

At least they manager to agree on the shape Mary

ha ha

Reply to
geoff

And for that we can be grateful, or we woulkd have cupboards full of unused sinks, in various styles and colors, some with heels, some with pointed toes, some with suede finish...and so on :-)

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I suspect that dropping crockery or glass into a Belfast sink is also likely to be terminal.

Reply to
usenet