SWMBO management?

Page 3 of 3
On Thu, 29 Jan 2004 11:00:37 +0000 (GMT), Dave Plowman

Er, not quite. More comparing the experience than the technology and design involvedin each product.
SJW A.C.S. Ltd.

Still puts me off, then. The MGB is fairly tough and cheap, but hardly a prime example of a 'driver's car'.
--
*According to my calculations, the problem doesn't exist.

On Thu, 29 Jan 2004 18:48:52 +0000 (GMT), Dave Plowman

I never said it was a "prime" example, and anyway, they're before my time so I wouldn't really know! I meant more along the lines of needs looking after, not just expected to work whenever you want.
SJW A.C.S. Ltd.
snipped-for-privacy@isbd.co.uk wrote:

The newer Mieles, which both my kids have, have disposable bags and fill up in no time at all. Totally unsuitable for DIY use but good for normal domestic puposes.

is.
I doubt it :-)
Neil Jones wrote:

Our DC01 Absolute has worked fine for six years or more. On the plus side it seems reliable and does a very good job on carpets (and we have a short haired dog that sheds enough hair in a week to make a puppy!) On the down side its suction is only moderate, and the hose / lance / handle affair I find a bit cumbersome even though it is good on stairs.
Each to his own though - I would not buy a Henry etc for ordinary cleaning, simply because SWMBO & I hate using cylinder cleaners for carpets.
--
Cheers,

John.

On Thu, 29 Jan 2004 03:18:30 +0000, John Rumm

My usual advice to anyone coming in to buy a complete home solution is to have a Dyson for general vacuuming uses and a Henry for more arduous tasks. All for 250, bargain.
SJW A.C.S. Ltd.

Dunno. I have a 5 yr old DC01 which has seen lots of DIY abuse and the only part it's had replaced is the yellow rubbery bumper strip along the front. Got this online from the Dyson parts store - it came in a couple of days.
Perhaps the Malmesbury-built Diesoons are more reliable than the Far- Eastern made ones?
Dave Plowman wrote:

I got one of those, same reason. I don't like it ( the vacuuming has been delegated to me) its too heavy and fiddly when you have to use the hose attachments. Was interested in a Dyson but noticed there are always at least a couple being discarded at my local waste collection place which I visit a least once a week.... so I conclude they must be unreliable.

They're not unreliable, people can't be arsed to clean the filters or the tubes, innards or any other part of a Dyson properly, consequently they stop working.
SJW A.C.S. Ltd.

.. but it's because they're such a pain in the same nether region to clean out that people don't do it.
--
Chris Green

On 30 Jan 2004 21:20:42 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@isbd.co.uk wrote:

Debatable, people manage to clean cookers and other household appliances that are a pain in the arse. What's so difficult, in comparison, about a filter on a Dyson that unclips and gets a rinse under the tap?
SJW A.C.S. Ltd.
Lurch wrote:

Compared with simply emptying the bag in my little cylinder, and shaking it out, a lot.
Since eben a dyson needss emptying its just more servicing to do.
Cars these days sell because they need less servoicing.
Whats wrong with an engine that you have to take the head off and decoke every 20,000 miles? That needs its points adjusting every 5000, and its carburettor replacing or ovberghauling, its big ends replacing every 30k, and its main bearings and timing chain every 60K?
Everything.

I don't think we (or many) people clean cookers, washing machines, tumble driers or any other similar appliances 'regularly'. I certainly don't expect to have to take the oven linings out and run them through a cleaning cycle of some sort at monthly intervals. This seems to be what you're suggesting is necessary for the Dyson.
In this modern age where appliances (and cars) are needing less and less regular attention it seems that the Dyson has gone the other way a bit. In addition the advertising for the Dyson tries to suggest that it's much *less* hassle to use and maintain than an ordinary vacuum cleaner and that appears not to be so.
--
Chris Green

I didn't say monthly, if it needs cleaning monthly then clean it monthly. If it needs cleaning bi-annually, clean it bi-annually, simple really.

It's down to personal preference, if you don't like it, don't buy it. It isn't designed to need more maintenance, it depends how you use it. You don't believe advertising statements do you? Some people like them and know how to look after them, some people don't. I think you could apply that rule to anything really.
The end.
SJW A.C.S. Ltd.

I'd not thought it heavy, and I'm hardly Mr Universe. And it's well balanced if you use the carrying slot. Nor are the attachments particularly fiddly, although the hose is too short. But I've got a cylinder one anyway so rarely use them. My main complaint is the noise.

Doesn't surprise me - my next door neighbour has had three in the time I've had the Panasonic, but still thinks they're wonderful. Brilliant bit of marketing - making someone enthusiastic about a 'Hoover'. ;-)
--
*Two wrongs are only the beginning *

In uk.d-i-y, Sam Bond wrote:

It just happens.

Buy from a shop that gives good service. I bought mine from John Lewis and when I took it back knackered they gave me a generous allowance towards a new machine and advised me to get something sensible this time. I selected a perfectly good Sebo but SWMBO insisted on another Dyson. Resistance is futile.
--
Mike Barnes

You answered the question in the subject line.

.andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
Will Rogers ( US political commentator) said " There are 2 theories to arguing with a woman...neither works."
Regards Capitol