SWMBO management?

Having spent several discussions about vacuum cleaners and deciding an Henry would be the best purchase, we now have a Dyson DC05.

How does this happen and is there any remedy?

Sam

Reply to
Sam Bond

James Dyson employs good marketeers.

Same thing with cars - the power of the badge cannot be forgotten. Someone I know claims to be a "Jaguar Man".

Reply to
John

Wait until she's asleep and beat her with a big stick while crying out "Why buy a Dyson ?". Please don't try this if she is awake or the stick might end up some where nasty, and I don't mean in the vacuum cleaner. :-))

Reply to
BigWallop

I doubt there is any remedy. In my case, she definitely did not want the free air conditioning in her new car. The nice man from the garage went to a lot of trouble to find one in the right colour combination that had been built without air conditioning. With the car on the way, she now wants the air conditioning, because someone other than the nmftg and me has told her that it really is very good at clearing a misted up windscreen quickly.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
nightjar

We have two, and my trusty old lightwieght gets into corners Sanyo 50 quider.

Mostly the dysons now stand idle...

(i) Too heavy to lift up the stairs (ii) requites more fiddling to get teh hose off for corner work

Jusyt get a henry as well, 'for the workshop, its not expensive (as your effin Dyson)' and let nature take its course.

The Dyson is a clasic example of Ditz. A very minor technivccal advance (or not) wrapped up in a ditzy 21st century package and sold to women.

Or, as we used toi say about Microsoft, 'designed to sell, not necessarily to function...'

or 'all chrome and tailfins'. 'All fur coat and no knickers'

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Well there is something in that - Ive owned three so far, and there is a unique character to them. Smooth, powerful and slightly decadent. There is no other car that has that particular combination, except perhaps a bentley or roller.

Maybe Aston, buit they always look rougher round the edges.

Needless to say tho, considering ditching the barely used XKR for a more useable estate...the web site hs no useful info at all. Merely pretty pictures.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

We *heart* our DC07. It's the first cleaner we've had that can do the stairs in 10 minutes AND you can leave it at the bottom while yer cleaning. Emptying it's a breeze and you only need to wash the filters every few months. Even my old DC01 is still going and it's been through DIY hell and back :)

-- cheers,

witchy/binarydinosaurs

Reply to
Witchy

It just happens.

Buy from a shop that gives good service. I bought mine from John Lewis and when I took it back knackered they gave me a generous allowance towards a new machine and advised me to get something sensible this time. I selected a perfectly good Sebo but SWMBO insisted on another Dyson. Resistance is futile.

Reply to
Mike Barnes

If they're *so* reliable, why have Curry's etc got a whole large display of Dyson spares of the type you'd have to order from other makers? Don't tell me it's a customer service - their floor space needs to make money.

I bought a Panasonic upright on the recommendation of Which. The only thing its had apart from begs and a belt or two is the light at the front which is rather pointless anyway.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

All the stories I hear about Dysons makes me think we must have got a Monday morning version, or whatever the opposite of Friday afternoon is.

Neil

Reply to
Neil Jones

Or maybe it's because you know how to look after it! 90% of the dysons that get brought in to the shop for repair are blocked up, either in the tubes or the filters are solid. Nearly everyone comes in and just says "it just stopped working, I cleaned all the filters yesterday". First thing out of the machine is the filter, packed solid with 2 years of crap, lying bastards. Bloody customers!!

SJW A.C.S. Ltd.

Reply to
Lurch

The filter doesn't block in my sanyo. Its a re-useable cloth bag.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

... but it's partly because of the (misleading?) Dyson advertising which tries to suggest that the machine should only need cleaning out every six months or so.

Reply to
usenet

In article , Dave Plowman writes

Dunno. I have a 5 yr old DC01 which has seen lots of DIY abuse and the only part it's had replaced is the yellow rubbery bumper strip along the front. Got this online from the Dyson parts store - it came in a couple of days.

Perhaps the Malmesbury-built Diesoons are more reliable than the Far- Eastern made ones?

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

That is correct, most people take it as a statement, not a recomendation. I sold a DC07 to my sister who refused to believe that because she used it more than average she would have to clean the filter out more often. She also pointed out that she never cleaned the filter out in the old vacuum she had that wasn't that old, that would be why it stopped working, overheats and cuts out all the time then! I've since ceased to support complaints from daft people, especially family!

SJW A.C.S. Ltd.

Reply to
Lurch

The filter in a Dyson traps dust which would go straight through a cloth or paper bag. This is really easy to demonstrate -- clean the Dyson filter with a bagged vacuum cleaner with a new/clean bag, and you won't find the dust in the dust bag. Actually, if you look closely and there's enough of it, you'll see it shoot out of the exhaust of the bagged cleaner. Been there, done that ;-)

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

I doubt it :-)

Reply to
Neil Jones

You answered the question in the subject line.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

Od that, because the dyson shoots out or clogs in seconds with fine plaster dust. The cylinder takes a few minutes to clog, and seems to actually trap it.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Will Rogers ( US political commentator) said " There are 2 theories to arguing with a woman...neither works."

Regards Capitol

Reply to
Capitol