SWMBO management?

Page 1 of 3
Having spent several discussions about vacuum cleaners and deciding an Henry would be the best purchase, we now have a Dyson DC05.
How does this happen and is there any remedy?
Sam
--
601

James Dyson employs good marketeers.
Same thing with cars - the power of the badge cannot be forgotten. Someone I know claims to be a "Jaguar Man".
--

Regards

John

"Sam Bond" < snipped-for-privacy@mimosa.demon.co.uk> wrote in message
John wrote:

Well there is something in that - Ive owned three so far, and there is a unique character to them. Smooth, powerful and slightly decadent. There is no other car that has that particular combination, except perhaps a bentley or roller.
Maybe Aston, buit they always look rougher round the edges.
Needless to say tho, considering ditching the barely used XKR for a more useable estate...the web site hs no useful info at all. Merely pretty pictures.

Wait until she's asleep and beat her with a big stick while crying out "Why buy a Dyson ?". Please don't try this if she is awake or the stick might end up some where nasty, and I don't mean in the vacuum cleaner. :-))
--
http://www.basecuritysystems.no-ip.com

I doubt there is any remedy. In my case, she definitely did not want the free air conditioning in her new car. The nice man from the garage went to a lot of trouble to find one in the right colour combination that had been built without air conditioning. With the car on the way, she now wants the air conditioning, because someone other than the nmftg and me has told her that it really is very good at clearing a misted up windscreen quickly.
Colin Bignell
Sam Bond wrote:

We have two, and my trusty old lightwieght gets into corners Sanyo 50 quider.
Mostly the dysons now stand idle...
(i) Too heavy to lift up the stairs (ii) requites more fiddling to get teh hose off for corner work
Jusyt get a henry as well, 'for the workshop, its not expensive (as your effin Dyson)' and let nature take its course.
The Dyson is a clasic example of Ditz. A very minor technivccal advance (or not) wrapped up in a ditzy 21st century package and sold to women.
Or, as we used toi say about Microsoft, 'designed to sell, not necessarily to function...'
or 'all chrome and tailfins'. 'All fur coat and no knickers'

We *heart* our DC07. It's the first cleaner we've had that can do the stairs in 10 minutes AND you can leave it at the bottom while yer cleaning. Emptying it's a breeze and you only need to wash the filters every few months. Even my old DC01 is still going and it's been through DIY hell and back :)
-- cheers,
witchy/binarydinosaurs

If they're *so* reliable, why have Curry's etc got a whole large display of Dyson spares of the type you'd have to order from other makers? Don't tell me it's a customer service - their floor space needs to make money.
I bought a Panasonic upright on the recommendation of Which. The only thing its had apart from begs and a belt or two is the light at the front which is rather pointless anyway.
--
*If you can read this, thank a teecher

All the stories I hear about Dysons makes me think we must have got a Monday morning version, or whatever the opposite of Friday afternoon is.
Neil
On Wed, 28 Jan 2004 14:10:09 -0000, "Neil Jones"

that get brought in to the shop for repair are blocked up, either in the tubes or the filters are solid. Nearly everyone comes in and just says "it just stopped working, I cleaned all the filters yesterday". First thing out of the machine is the filter, packed solid with 2 years of crap, lying bastards. Bloody customers!!
SJW A.C.S. Ltd.
Lurch wrote:

The filter doesn't block in my sanyo. Its a re-useable cloth bag.

The filter in a Dyson traps dust which would go straight through a cloth or paper bag. This is really easy to demonstrate -- clean the Dyson filter with a bagged vacuum cleaner with a new/clean bag, and you won't find the dust in the dust bag. Actually, if you look closely and there's enough of it, you'll see it shoot out of the exhaust of the bagged cleaner. Been there, done that ;-)
--
Andrew Gabriel

Andrew Gabriel wrote:

Od that, because the dyson shoots out or clogs in seconds with fine plaster dust. The cylinder takes a few minutes to clog, and seems to actually trap it.

This is not my experience. I bought a DC04 which, although not bought for this purpose, has been used entirely for cleaning up building work, often plastering, for 4 years, and has worked fine. With this sort of dust, some very fine dust which the cyclone can't extract ends up in the foam filter. It takes about a day, perhaps 4-5 canisters of plaster dust, before the thickness of plaster trapped in the foam filter works its way through to the other side of the foam. Even then, I've never had the Dyson clog/overheat/tripout.
--
Andrew Gabriel

On 28 Jan 2004 23:12:14 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@cucumber.demon.co.uk (Andrew Gabriel) wrote:

There's also the bit in The Fine Manual that says the machine shouldn't be used for sucking up fine plaster dust.....
Mine's clogged once or twice, but it wasn't designed to do that so that's OK.
-- cheers,
witchy/binarydinosaurs
Witchy wrote:

Odd. I thought that waht vaccum cleaners did, was suck up dust..
Oh silly me. They are fashion statements aren't they?
:-)

On Sat, 31 Jan 2004 10:41:13 +0000, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Yes but there is dust and dust. House dust (principally dead skin cells) isn't particulary fine and doesn't set like fine plaster dust, which is very fine, does.

We have a DC04, very pleased with it apart from the size of the cansister. Starting from empty it's full by the time you've vacumed the whole house. Washing the filter every 6 months isn't a problem and every vacum I've had as required the beater bar to be dethreaded every so often.
--
Cheers snipped-for-privacy@howhill.com
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

Vacuum cleaners have filter bags which are supposed to let the air thru, but trap the dust.
These filters have a pre-defined filtration size. If the dust particles are smaller than that size then they whizz straight thru, invariably producing a sort of smoke made of dust.
I imagine you need some sort of scrubber for very fine dust, however I have no knowledge of scrubbers (cue follow on comments about loose women ;)).
PoP

which tries to suggest that the machine should only need cleaning out every six months or so.
--
Chris Green

recomendation. I sold a DC07 to my sister who refused to believe that because she used it more than average she would have to clean the filter out more often. She also pointed out that she never cleaned the filter out in the old vacuum she had that wasn't that old, that would be why it stopped working, overheats and cuts out all the time then! I've since ceased to support complaints from daft people, especially family!
SJW A.C.S. Ltd.