Switching vac via power tool

Now that I've found an adaptor to connect my Wickes/Earlex vac to my circ saw, I was wondering...

You can get vacs with a socket outlet on, so you can plug a power tool into it. When you start the power tool the vac switches on, stopping the power tool switches off the vac.

I assume some kinda electronic gizmo senses the load and does the switching.

Can you buy said gizmo to fit to an existing vac?

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

I've not seen a task-specific gizmo, but how about the "intelligent" power strips that are sold for turning off all the crap round your PC when you turn off the computer itself? They have one socket that's always on, and others that are on only when at least 100watts or so is being drawn from the first one.

Pete

Reply to
Pete Verdon

The Medway Handyman submitted this idea :

Don't know about the suitability (check the ratings), but you can get a power strip for a computer, which turns on/off several sockets operated by the current drawn as you turn the PC on and off. Turn the PC on and the other sockets become live, turn it off they all turn off.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Yep. Saw one in B&Q not 30 mins ago for 15 quid. David

Reply to
Lobster

Yes the Earlex PowerVac:

cheerful, does the job. The Power take off is limited to 1800W but as the Vac is 1200W that probably has more to do with the loading on a single 13A plug (3000W +/- a tad depending on voltage).

There are probably other similar vacs about.

With the "power saver" plug strips I'd watch what the maximum load through the monitored socket is and what the total load for the switched ones is.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

That reminds me the Earlex has about 10s run on for the vacum after the power tool is switched off this clears the last bits of dust or WHY from the pipe work. Not sure these "PC" switched power strips have such a delay.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember "The Medway Handyman" saying something like:

Get one of the vacs from Lidl/Aldi next time they're in. I was using mine that way to collect concrete dust from 14 double socket holes and it was tremendous the way the dust got sucked in as I worked.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

The one I tried out briefly for my telly (the freeview box didn't draw enough power to switch it) left the sockets on for a few seconds. Don't think it was as long as ten though.

Pete

Reply to
Pete Verdon