Switching between Camping Gaz and standard UK butane cylinders

Hi

We have a Camping Gaz cooker, connected to a Camping Gaz regulator which sits on top of a Camping Gaz cylinder (not surprisingly). We originally went for Camping Gaz notwithstanding its exhorbitant cost, to make it easy to obtain refills while over on the continent. However, TBH we camp in the UK as often as on the continent, and I'd much rather take along the far cheaper UK gas cylinder which we keep at home for the gas barbecue. However, that would mean changing the regulator on the cooker hose on each occasion, which would be a big hassle and not particular safe IMHO. I'm almost tempted to buy a second cooker! but that seems daft.

Does anyone know of any form of fitting which I could get, which I could attach to 2 lengths of hose each connected to a regulator (with a third length of hose attached to the cooker), so I could just interchange the regulators at will? I'm envisaging an in-line bayonet fitting or similar.

Thanks David

Reply to
Lobster

On Tue, 26 Jul 2005 18:09:23 GMT,it is alleged that Lobster spake thusly in uk.d-i-y:

It may be worth contacting a calor gas supplier. I recall on the campsite I used to stay on ~15 years ago, there was available an adaptor from the calor style 'switch on' butane tanks to the camping gaz style screw in. It consisted of the switch on thingy with a right angle connector to a camping gaz female thread. Not sure if they'd still be available though.

Reply to
Chip

Why not just have the 2 regulators, and swap them into the same pipe using a screwable/adjustable jubilee clip - only takes a few mins to unscrew/screw on a new conector ?

I'd have thought a 2 in/1 out arrangement 'could' be a gas leak situation.

Graham

Reply to
Graham

No that's what I meant by being a hassle and not very safe... those hoses are usually very stiff to fit, and jubilee clips are not intended for repeated fitting/refitting... OK, it's maybe do-able, but not the quick and easy solution which I'm sure must exist.

That's not what I meant - I envisage 1 hose going to the cooker, terminating in a female bayonet connector, and two hoses going to two regulators, each terminating in a male connector.

David

Reply to
Lobster

In article , Lobster writes

How about a couple of these:

item

17002 (at the bottom), one each on a short hose from each regulator with one mating half on the cooler hose.

ps: what happened to the BES catalogue from your uk.d-i-y welcome pack ;-)

Reply to
fred

Now *that* looks like just the job!!

Forgive my ignorance, but the listing states in bold "for LPG only" - is that the same as butane (ie just as distinct from natural gas)?

Thanks David

Reply to
Lobster

I knew they did a lot of gas stuff so had a look. Their web site is a bit of a nightmare to browse so I use the paper catalogue, a great reference for gas, plumbing and drainage stuff, and their prices aren't bad either.

Yup, that's the generic term for bottled fuel gasses, short for Liquefied Petroleum Gas.

Reply to
fred

| In article , Lobster | writes | >fred wrote: | >> In article , Lobster | >> writes | >

| >> How about a couple of these:

item | >> 17002 (at the bottom), one each on a short hose from each regulator with | >> one mating half on the cooler hose. | >

| >Now *that* looks like just the job!! | | I knew they did a lot of gas stuff so had a look. Their web site is a bit of a | nightmare to browse so I use the paper catalogue, a great reference for | gas, plumbing and drainage stuff, and their prices aren't bad either. | | >Forgive my ignorance, but the listing states in bold "for LPG only" - is | >that the same as butane (ie just as distinct from natural gas)? | | Yup, that's the generic term for bottled fuel gasses, short for Liquefied | Petroleum Gas.

In the UK Propane or Butane.

Butane gives about 15% more cups of tea per bottle. Butane gives about 5% more cups of tea per GBP. Propane works in winter near freezing point. All UK Propane bottles have the same fitting. Autogas is cheap, you need a built in tank, tax *WILL* increase.

Reply to
Dave Fawthrop