Switch wiring for Garage Door Opener

Anyone know about the connections for the wired switch that operates a (probably) Chamberlain garage door opener? Going to help a friend with some tasks at the w/e and one of the things he'd like to do is install a new bellpush to open the garage door from inside the house. There's a wired switch inside the garage. This has 3 buttons (open/close, light, disable remote) but only single bell wire linking to the unit. So what differentiates the functions (timing of current applied?) / how to replicate just the open function.

Forgive the vagueness but I've not seen this setup yet and want to be prepared / not waste time playing around or stuffing up the unit.

Ta muchly B.

Reply to
borrow

Is it just a two core bell wire ? Or is it a multi-core cable bundle in single sheath ?

Reply to
BigWallop

Two core bell wire

Reply to
borrow

I have had a Chamberlain door opener for more than 10 years, one of my favourite gadgets. I don't have the fancy switch you describe. For local operation in the garage I wired a bell push with twin bell wire to the 2 contacts provided. Push the button, door opens; push it again door closes. As my garage is >4m from the house it was much easier to just get another remote and mount it with velcro pads on a window frame in the house. Its important that anyone operating the door from a distance should have a clear view of the door. I once brought the door down on an open hatchback door because I didn't check properly.

Reply to
BillR

Just ordinary bell wire I understand.

Reply to
borrow

Good advice! A garage door opener should never be operated by any type of device where the door is not in plain view.

Doordoc

Doordoc

When my roller shutter was installed I was warned about leaving things in the way - told a horror story of a bicycle that was left propped up against the door opening and had its top tube converted into a "V".

I hadn't stowed a ladder properly on the hooks just inside the door once and the shutter had no problem lifting the ladder by pressing down on the short part extending beyond the hook - at most 18" . The ladder is 12 feet long and a "trade" aluminium one.

I've also been caught a couple of times by having the remote in my pocket and the button getting pressed with the tension of the fabric. I now switch the power off when I'm working around the entrance and the shutter is raised.

Barley Twist (Please put out the cats to reply direct)

Reply to
Barley Twist

Good advice - Many thanks all.

B.