Switch wiring for Garage Door Opener

Anyone know about the connections for the wired switch that operates a (probably) Chamberlain garage door opener? Going to help a friend with some tasks at the w/e and one of the things he'd like to do is install a new bellpush to open the garage door from inside the house. There's a wired switch inside the garage. This has 3 buttons (open/close, light, disable remote) but only single bell wire linking to the unit. So what differentiates the functions (timing of current applied?) / how to replicate just the open function.
Forgive the vagueness but I've not seen this setup yet and want to be prepared / not waste time playing around or stuffing up the unit.
Ta muchly B.

Is it just a two core bell wire ? Or is it a multi-core cable bundle in single sheath ?

Two core bell wire

Just ordinary bell wire I understand.
borrow wrote:

I have had a Chamberlain door opener for more than 10 years, one of my favourite gadgets. I don't have the fancy switch you describe. For local operation in the garage I wired a bell push with twin bell wire to the 2 contacts provided. Push the button, door opens; push it again door closes. As my garage is >4m from the house it was much easier to just get another remote and mount it with velcro pads on a window frame in the house. Its important that anyone operating the door from a distance should have a clear view of the door. I once brought the door down on an open hatchback door because I didn't check properly.

Good advice! A garage door opener should never be operated by any type of device where the door is not in plain view.
Doordoc www.DoorsAndOpeners.com
On 6 Nov 2003 15:54:00 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@prodigy.net (Doordoc) wrote:

When my roller shutter was installed I was warned about leaving things in the way - told a horror story of a bicycle that was left propped up against the door opening and had its top tube converted into a "V".
I hadn't stowed a ladder properly on the hooks just inside the door once and the shutter had no problem lifting the ladder by pressing down on the short part extending beyond the hook - at most 18" . The ladder is 12 feet long and a "trade" aluminium one.
I've also been caught a couple of times by having the remote in my pocket and the button getting pressed with the tension of the fabric. I now switch the power off when I'm working around the entrance and the shutter is raised.
Barley Twist (Please put out the cats to reply direct)
Good advice - Many thanks all.
B.