Switch for oil boiler and pump 240V power supply

The final 240V power supply to my oil CH boiler (2000 vintage) and separate pump was left so that each just plugged into separate 13A sockets. So it is possible (eg if the pump socket is accidentally off/out/fuse blows) for the boiler to start up without the pump running. Time to finish the job!

Thoughts so far are that the ideal solution might be a two pole 3 way switch (5A?) giving:

pos 1: boiler and pump ON (normal running) pos 2: boiler OFF pump ON (testing circulation etc) pos 3: boiler and pump OFF (whole system OFF)

Is a switch available which will do this? Or any other suggestions?

Once that is sorted out, is the supply to the switch best made from a

13A plug or via a fixed spur?

BTW the CH timer etc is a long way away from the boiler & pump.

TIA

Reply to
jim_in_sussex

On 12 Oct 2005 14:17:34 -0700, jim_in snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com scrawled:

Unlikely really, and if it did happen to hapopen then the boiler would could out on overheat. I have wired commercial systems up with everything (boilers, pumps, valves etc...) individually fused.

Neither, flex outlet I would assume would be better.

You're overthinking the job, just wire them in to the heating system wiring.

Reply to
Lurch

Presumably controlled from the remote programmer and any relevant stats? The 13A plug and socket being just a convient way to make the fixed to flexable wiring transition.

From the likes of RS or Farnell I'm sure but not cheap and you'd need an enclosure of some sort double not cheap...

It should be coming from the controller/stats which should be powered by a switched fused spur. Why bother with this complex switch use flex outlets from the fixed wiring and other simpler means to get your three options:

pos 1: boiler and pump ON (normal running) - as normal pos 2: boiler OFF pump ON (testing circulation etc) - boiler switch probably on the boiler thermostat knob or just unplug the flex from the control box if it goes through an IEC like mine does. pos 3: boiler and pump OFF (whole system OFF) - Use the switched fused spur switch that isolates all the CH system not just a bit of it. Safer.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Should not be a problem except you won't get any heat out of the boiler. It will heat up then stop on its thermostat.

Whatever for? you will probably only need this once in the lifetime of the installation. If you do need to run the pump on its own say to clear the system when (re)filling simply turn the boilerstat down to off.

Don't bugger about. Wire the system from an FCU with a 5A fuse in it. and use a recognised "plan" system which will meet the requirements of the British Standards. Remember that you will at some point need to use a vacuum cleaner when servicing the boiler so an adjacent socket is useful. Personally I would swap your twin socket for a Dual box with an FCU and a single switchsocket (assuming the supply lends itself to the situation)

Completely normal. There is no issue with this factor. Ensure you have a suitable means of disconnection near the boiler and pump for servicing (the boiler will normally have a suitable plug/socket incorporated within its casing). Also the system has independant time/temperature control of heating and hot water.

It sounds as though you are overegging the setup in your mind.

Reply to
John