switch for 3-way light

whats the name of the special switch for a 3-way light for a corridor, (all my light switches have 2 terminals at one end but one at the other.)

george - dicegeorge

its called an "intermediate" cross over switch, but i cant find it in TLC website..

[g]
Reply to
george - dicegeorge

er... "intermediate" (as in some of the diyfaq diagrams but confusingly not others....

Jim K

Reply to
Jim K

per the descriptions on that page, the four terminal ones are "intermediate" switches.

Reply to
Andy Burns

1 Gang Intermediate Light Switch?

Bill

switch to direction B. What you are confusing your terms with is three-

*location* switching, being able to switch *one* circuit from *three* seperate *locations*. A three-*way* switch would be *one* switch that allowed you to to select between *three* different circuits being selected.

JGH

Reply to
jgharston

[george]

The middle ones are crossover or intermediate switches. The end ones are 2 way.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

thanks - 'intermediate' is the word, not 'crossover' [g]

Reply to
george - dicegeorge

they are indeed crossover switches

Reply to
meow2222

Three way switch is what Americans call a two way switch, I expect this is the cause of the mix up.

Reply to
harry

So do we call an American one-way switch a no-way switch?

Reply to
polygonum