Swarf in new radiators - fluhing recommended by manufacturer.

I purchased three radiators recently to add to our existing system.

One small one 500 wide x 600 high, and two large tall 1800 high x 400 wide.

When I came to fit them I found that both of the tall radiators had stuff inside them. As I turned them on end I could hear the stuff sliding down the fins.

I phoned the manufacturer and they recommended that I did not fit them. They would swap them out - no quibble.

Unfortunately one of the replacements is the same. I managed to remove a couple of bits of swarf - see photo....

the manufacturer is swapping it out.

However, the guy I spoke to said that they recommended flushing the system after fitting. Is this a usual procedure when adding new rads?

It would appear that their manufacturing process is not in good shape. I'm a bit concerned that even after flushing the system there might be swarf hanging by a thread that will detach in the future and screw up my pump/boiler.

Thoughts?

Thanks, Roy

Reply to
RzB

I also fitted a new towel radiator during my bathroom refit. The manufacturers also recommnded a complete flush of the system after fitting. I expect they are just covering themselves. There was no way I was going to the cost and effort of draining, flushing and refilling my entire CH system, so I just gave it a good old shake to clear out any debris before fitting.

Reply to
deckertim

I always give them a thorough flush through before fitting using a pressure washer.

There's no point in leaving crud in there to be carried into the system.

This may be tricky to do with a tall radiator. Are there vents at the top that you can remove to allow a good flush right to the top?

Reply to
Andy Hall

You might also hook it up to mains pressure with a hosepipe and clip and wash it through?

Thomas Prufer

Reply to
Thomas Prufer

Hmmm !!! Could they not be flushed through ...garden hose ??...before fitting .

Reply to
Stuart B

"Andy Hall" wrote

Ahh - yes of course a pressure washer. I have a Karcher - I take it that's the sort of thing you mean?

How do you connect it up?

There are two vents at the bottom and one at the top - so should be doable.

Thanks for your help, Roy

Reply to
RzB

Gents,

Many thanks for your posts. I think you are right that flushing prior to fitting is more sensible, and a lot cheaper!

Thanks, Roy

Reply to
RzB

Choose suitable nozzle and apply to each orifice on the radiator in turn. Squirt for a short while and move on. The objective is only to dislodge loose bits which this will certainly do.

Reply to
Andy Hall

================================ I think the hose pipe would do a better job than the pressure washer. You need plenty of water rather than great pressure which would be difficult to direct properly. Block the two bottom holes (sticky tape will do) and fill from the top and when full open the bottom holes whilst keeping the hose running in at the top. Reverse the process if you think it's necessary.

Cic.

Reply to
Cicero

In article , RzB writes

It does seem to suggest that a strainer is a very good idea on all systems. I put a standard 22mm one on my system at build time and it has always bothered me that it would clog too easily if there were any bits floating around. When the system was down for maintenance last year I up'd the size to an 1 1/2" bsp model which is, er, a little over the top (1 1/2" didn't sound that big when I read the catalogue) but I know it's not going to oppose the flow. On reflection 1" or 1 1/4" would be fine. I also put in a

22mm full flow ball valve on either side for isolation so I can check it without draining down. Strainers here:
fred

If the order of the system is to have strainer - boiler - pump then there is no cause for concern from radiator crud

Reply to
Andy Hall

Fred,

Many, many thanks for that - I didn't know such things existed!!!

I'll investigate some more and will almost certainly be fitting one.

Thanks, Roy

Reply to
RzB

In article , RzB writes

Ah, glad I mentioned it then, given the price there's no reason not to, yet many 'pro' systems won't have one.

The final tip is to have the strainer on a horizontal run just before the boiler with the Y-branch facing downwards so the crud will stay in the mesh waiting to be removed. It's not that easy to do as the easiest spot for accessibility will be on a vert run just before the boiler but it is best practice.

Reply to
fred

fine particles (in spite of having been fully flushed more than one) so I swapped it for a Magnaclean - not cheap but trouble free.

Tony Bryer

"Tony Bryer" wrote

Many thanks for your help, Roy

Reply to
RzB

£129.97 (Plumbworld)

Wow, you can get a lot of 1 1/2" strainers for that.

I think if the system is collecting that much crud then there is something fundamentally wrong with the system, that said I think standard size strainers are a waste of time, anything goes wrong in the system and the first thing you hear are low flow symptoms, noise, kettling. Go large.

Reply to
fred