swapping loop in light fittings - grr

Some loop-in style light fittings need changing. Replacements, surprise surprise are not loop-in. On removing loop-in backplate 1 I discover no slack in the cables to allow me to use a choc box properly.

Methinks ok I'll go above & fit choc box above ceiling mmm loft area above is cramped, & stuffed with fibreglass insulation, with no light. Bah.

Any other options before I must spend all day titting abt up there?

Cheers Jim K

Reply to
Jim K

surprise are not loop-in.

to use a choc box properly.

cramped, & stuffed with fibreglass insulation, with no light. Bah.

Remove room's light switch and replace with a bracket to hold a rechargeable torch?

Scott

Reply to
Scott M

I'm surprised at that. Might not be easy but I'd expect at least an inch or so of wire poking out of the ceiling to get from the hole to the terminals in the backplate. Four sections of 5 A choc block is quite compact.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

urprise are not loop-in.

w me to use a choc box properly.

e is cramped, & stuffed with fibreglass insulation, with no light. Bah.

Stick a long screwdriver up from below and get someone to wiggle it while you go up in the loft and see where it's wiggling.

Wrap teh end of the scrtewdrover with green/yellow tape for added conspinctionty.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

surprise are not loop-in.

Wago connectors make actually connecting the wires much easier, no need to hold wire while screwing down terminals in impossible places.

Reply to
cl

choc "block" is indeed compact no issue there - the issue is with getting all that IN the choc "box" AND trying to get the completed choc"box" through a "just big enough" hole through & above the ceiling i.e. trying to do it properlike....

Jim K

Reply to
Jim K

But shouldn't the choc box be in an enclosure if you are aiming to be "proper"?

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

erm... the choc box *is* the enclosure?

Jim K

Reply to
Jim K

Oops!

Sorry Jim.

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

no probs ;>)

Jim K

Reply to
Jim K

What's the ceiling made of that a poke with a blunt instrument won't make the hole bigger? Wrap the wired choc block in insulation tape and shove it up.

Well if you want the choc block in a proper enclosure I guess you have no choice but to fit a junction box above the ceiling.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

I've seen lots of pro installations where a great deal of care has been taken to keep any tails as short as physically possible. That plus not tightening the connectors properly all makes work for the working man...

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

My Lupines are in the garden. Well someone had to say it.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

great deal of work but it is hard to understand how you work so hard..awesome

Reply to
janegray78

mmm nice ;>)

obviously there is a limit to how big the hole can be made to avoid having to patch it, plaster and re-decorate it.... with no slack on the cables the choc box cannot be rotated to pass back through the max sized hole (i.e. a hole that can be hidden by the new light fitting's backplate)...

mmmm that's what I'm fishing for alternatives to doing.

(NB If I end up above the ceiling I'll just fit a normal junction box as I won't need choc block or a choc box)

Jim K

Reply to
Jim K

is that you Phil?

Reply to
Jim K

You have wolf-like creatures in the garden?

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

Of course, the alternative is to get a light fitting that has a loop in type connection. How you can predict that without opening it up before buying is another question!

Reply to
GMM

Do they exist? I get the impression loop in out is rather a UK thing, and fittings are made for all countries.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

indeed, a quick google images search for ""loop in" light fitting" produced none (any different than those currently fitted) :>((

bollox to it

Jim K

Reply to
Jim K