swa wiring - not sure

I am redecorating and on checking the wiring in the bedroom it is using swa wiring for all sockets (old house).

is there any issue with this or do i have to change to meet any new regulations etc?

thanks

Reply to
Mike Wild

SWA is armoured cable for underground or exterior use. I very much doubt you have it wiring up your bedroom sockets.

If, however, you have rubber insulated cable, then it is very likely to be in a dangerous condition and you should have the house rewired without delay. Rubber has a life expectancy of around 25 years and has not been fitted for about 50 years.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

Could it be that pyro(?) stuff he's got?

To the OP: can you describe your wiring?

David

Reply to
Lobster

Unlikely, but it might be that flat lead-sheathed rubber-insulated stuff used in the 1940s - a precursor to TRS and modern T&E.

Reply to
Andy Wade

I'd be surprised to see that on a ring main circuit?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

dug some of that out of my walls a few years ago

Regards Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

No doubt. However, ring final circuits and rubber wiring are rarely found in the same installation. On the other hand, the OP never mentioned rings...

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

I've plenty of it under the floor, not connected though.

Ring circuits were designed to be easily constructed by converting from 15A radial circuits, originally.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

No, but I'd guess anything with original 15 amp or 5 amp radial circuits would be a tad obvious?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Could be. But I've not come across lead covered ever being used as part of a ring. Rubber, yes.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Yes, I'd forgotten about those! They usually have both ends of the ring going to different MCBs...

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

I had one leg of the downstairs ring main in lead sheathed cable in this house (but then the wiring was a right mix, modernish - 60-70's PVC, original rubber sheathed, this lead stuff all sorts)

Reply to
chris French

MCB's would be rather unlikely, but originally, they could both go to separate 15A fuses when such a conversion was done, these being the fuses which originally protected the two 15A radial circuits which were converted into the two ends of the ring.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel