Suspended ceiling - what joist sizes?

I have decided to install a lowered ceiling in my kitchen, partly to avoid having to repair it considerably, partly to install downlighters, but mainly to hide the ducting for the cooker hood which is 6" flexible aluminium tubing.

My question is what size wood to use for the joists which will cover a span of approx 2.5m. If necessary I could support the joists along the middle by a batten fixing to the existing ceiling. If I were to use 9.5mm plasterboard can I get away with less substantial joists than using 12mm.

-- Chris Melluish

Reply to
Chris Melluish

2x3 would be good. 2x2 would just work, 1.5x2.5 would be better than 2x2.

9.5 vs 12mm: not significantly. 12mm offers better sound insulation, fire resistance and durability, and is hardly any more expensive.

If you support them half way along, 2x2 would be plenty.

If you _really really_ want to cut down on wood use, if you support it every 2' you could even use bamboo canes supporting a cardboard ceiling. Treat with fire retardant and lining paper. Wonder if anyones ever done that!

NT

Reply to
meow2222