Suspect emails

McAfee frequently send me information that a suspect email has been received and that I should report it to the sender. These are never from anyone I use, so I ignore them. Should I report them, is there any thing worthwhile doing so? Also they have isolated it, where are they and how do I get rid of them please?

Reply to
Broadback

Chances are that unless you are a deep email header inspector, they wont actually be from who they say they are from and you wont be able to establish that anyway.

Forging a sender address is trivial.

Pass. Linux is cheaper and thunderbird puts em all in a junk folder, which I occasionally review to see if a real message is in there, and then delete.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

For a start I wouldn't use McCaffee. AFAICT It's only redeeming feature is that high volume corporate licenses are dirt cheap. One place I know that uses it had their entire network down just a couple of weeks ago because something very nasty got into their networked printers.

Only if the email is from one of your friends who is spamming the universe and all of their address book entries with hostile binaries until they sort out their own machine. No point warning random third parties unless they are causing you mayhem.

I generally warn my friends that get infected and send them a link to suitable software to delouse their machine. Sometimes I even get paid for digging clients out of malware generated holes. It is astonishing how willing people are to click on enticing sounding dodgy links :(

It will either have deleted the offending binary or placed it in some quarantine area where you can see them and opt to permanently delete.

Some who uses McCaffee is best placed to tell you where to look.

Reply to
Martin Brown

Thanks, having investigated McAfee I have found them and deleted them. So if you do not like McAfee what is your recommendations please? Hopefully something simple to operate!

Reply to
Broadback

AVG free. I've been using it for years.

Reply to
Mr Pounder Esquire

Kaspersky. Regularly comes out top in tests.