Surrey flange

Page 2 of 2

You can tell I haven't had to do a job of that nature then :)
Thanks for the explanation - sounds a bit like one of those taps you can install on a cold/hot water pipe for a washing machine feed, where the tap cuts itself into the pipe.
PoP

The Surrey one doesn't - it screws into the existing boss on the top of the cylinder.
WIth the Essex flange, you do need to do copper surgery. .andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Yup... that's my use.
Cheers, Rob.

It screws into the top of a HW cylinder. You shorten and reconnect the existing pipe which vents and delivers HW as before. You gain a 1/2" BSP tapping on the side which is connected to a dip tube into the cylinder. To this you connect the hot side of your shower (or pump). The cold comes from the roof tank.
The purpose is so that you get a hot feed for the shower which is unaffected by water drawn from the rest of the system. If you just tap into the vent pipe it will be affected if someone turns on a hot tap.
Its brother is the Essex flange, which surprisingly is not more common.
This one requires you to make a hole in the dome of the cylinder and fit the flange into it. This requires some guts of course. The reward is that you do get a full bore feed whereas the Surrey flange does cut both flows down a little bit,
A better solution to either is when you replace the HW cylinder to order one with extra bosses fitted. This costs next to nothing. I've got a couple of spares on mine in case of future requirements.