Surrey flange

Page 1 of 2
Do any of the big DIY shops sell surrey flanges?
Cheers, Rob.
On Sat, 3 Jan 2004 10:50:47 -0000, Rob Nicholson wrote:

Err, I'd have thought that a telephone call to your nearest shed would have given you the answer to that question!

The only place I've found is this:
"http://www.andyplumb.co.uk/asp/catalogue/catsearch.asp?catval "
Hello BigWallop

Where I got mine. Not recommended.
--
Simon Avery, Dartmoor, UK

Thanks for the feedback Simon. I always thought they had a good reputation, but that might have been a while back.
--
http://www.basecuritysystems.no-ip.com

Hello BigWallop
[Andyplumb]

Likely the shop's ok, but let down by their internet sales page that doesn't let the shops staff know what you've ordered.
OTOH, once cleared up, part arrived in fair time, was as described and worked just fine. Quite easy to fit, too.
--
Simon Avery, Dartmoor, UK
Yep,

Thanks, I'll try the Plumb Center in Macclesfield.
Regards, Rob.
Hello Rob

That reminds me, must email Screwfix and suggest they stock them. Annoying that this was the only thing out of a massive order they couldn't supply.
To answer your question, not in my experience. B&Q Warehouse /might/ (ring first), but none of the normal sheds do.
I got mine from AndyPlumb online, but it took over a week to arrive as their online ordering system doesn't tell the staff what you've bought, so I can't really recommend them. Get one from a proper plumbers centre.
--
Simon Avery, Dartmoor, UK
Usually because I can't be bothered driving 45 minutes to Screw Fix and the wholesalers are closed from 12 on Saturdays and if its something you need between then and 8am on Monday you have little choice?

On Sat, 03 Jan 2004 18:44:55 GMT, "ARWadsworth"

For small quantities the price issue is no longer true. There is also the advantage that you can browse the stock to find what you want out of what they've got without neccesarily knowing what it's called. B&Q tends to be more convenient, parking is easier, and there are still *some* trade counters about where you have to wait for eons for someone to serve you by telling you it's out of stock.
--
Niall

And you can *always* find someone knowledgeable to advise you! Oops - nearly got hit by a flying pig! <g>
--
Cheers,
Set Square

... or the knowalls in some of the departments like electrical and plumbing who insist on involving themselves in what you are buying when you don't actually want their help and then tell you how the job should be done.
.andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
Hello ARWadsworth

The real benefit of B&Q for DIYers is that they're open bank holidays, weekends and often evenings. For them with a full time job that doesn't allow us near to builders merchants the choice is limited.
They're Ok. Their pricing is very odd and their stocking decisions apparently made by idiots on crack, but they fill a niche.

Screwfix also fill a different niche, and price wise I can't get most things cheaper locally, and I *do* frequent builders merchants, agricultural suppliers, timber yards and the like. And for non-urgent things, it's a damned sight more convenient picking things out of a catalogue, or clicking a mouse of an evening.

That I can't argue with though. Major pain in the arse that they will no longer "leave around the back" as per instruction.
--
Simon Avery, Dartmoor, UK

Good idea - I'd check Screwfix and was a bit surprised they didn't sell it as well.
Cheers, Rob.

I doubt they would take notice. I ordered some RCBOs from them. They came, all Type C, which wasn't mentioned at all. I told them that they were basically for light industrial use, not domestic and thousands of people are probably installing them on domestic ring mains giving insufficient protection. They weren't interested even in correcting their catalogue, let alone sourcing the correct Type B that you would expect.
Christian.
On Sat, 3 Jan 2004 10:50:47 -0000, "Rob Nicholson"

Someone please help me out a bit here - what's a surrey flange when it's at home?
PoP
I got mine from Wickes about 6 months ago. Although when I came to try and fit the bugger I couldn't get the fitting from the top of the cylinder and used an essex flange instead.
Pop - it's a fitting that allows you to take off another outlet from the top of a hot water cylinder without drilling a new hole. I would guess it is most often used when fitting a power shower.
Jim
--
Remove BRAIN before replying