Surprised at the cost of laying vinyl!

We just ordered some vinyl for the new kitchen; £120 for fitting and it'll be the 3rd or 4th call in the day ("early afternoon"). So, assume 5 calls/day at £120/call = £600/day for (relatively) unskilled work! And the diary was full! Where do I sign-up for a job?

Dave

Reply to
Dave

Well, this is a DIY NG!

You can at least save youself 120 quid by fiting it yourself.

Reply to
Set Square

If it's that unskilled why aren't there loads of people doing it,=20 driving the price down?

--=20 Hywel

Hywel Jenkins

I just had a shower room with inset loo done nicely in one piece for £30, must have taken getting on for 2 hours. Money well spent I thought.

Reply to
Newshound

Most things I would do myself but when I last laid some vinyl (many years ago) I got so annoyed and angry with the bl88dy unco-operative stuff that I vowed "never again" (same with plastering BTW). This room is fairly large (7m x 3.5m) and has some odd sticky-out bits so I don't fancy tackling it in one piece from a 7mx4m roll - but I may watch and learn for next time.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

Where would you get a job with no experience ?.

And how would you get experience without doing it yourself ???

£120 just for fitting ?, if so you've money to throw away !!!.

You can buy a Stanley knife for approx. £5 !.

Reply to
johnnybegood

If it's unskilled work and you think the cost too high, DIY or hold your peace.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

You do have a short fuse don't you!

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

In message , Dave writes

I tend to be charged around £2 per sq.yd. for fitting vinyl and carpet.

Reply to
Richard Faulkner

What are you referring to?

Doing what yourself? This?

Andy Luckman (AJL Electronics)

You said it was (relatively) unskilled work

Reply to
Richard Conway

Not usually, the last attempt was nearly 20 years ago so maybe I've mellowed with age and should have tried again ;-)

Dave

Reply to
Dave

Good.You'll have learned a lot in that time. We all do ... :-)

A wise man once told me that there's no point in losing your temper with inanimate objects. I never lose my temper thesedays - with either inanimate or animate objects. Life's too short not to enjoy it!

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

I have just been charged £40 by Carpetright for laying vinyl in a bathroom. Like you I have had bad experiences of doing this particular job myself in the past.

Reply to
JL