Surplus Items Q

Hi all

Is it contrary to group policy to offer surplus items to group members at no charge?

Yes I know there's freecycle, but that is less discriminating. Chances are whoever collects would simply stick the stuff on ebay. If I have (say) an unwanted used radiator that could help a group member, maybe as a temporary fix, would it be frowned upon to "advertise" this on the group? I have seen others make reference to items, but wondered whether this was against Newsgroup policy.

Thanks

Phil

Reply to
TheScullster

Certainly not... especially if they are useful ;-)

From our FAQ:

"Private individuals wishing to sell (or give away!) relevant items can use this group to advertise them, within reason, so long as they post a follow-up when what is for sale is no longer available."

Reply to
John Rumm

"John Rumm" wrote

Thanks John

When it's all finished with I'll make a list

Phil

Reply to
TheScullster

Charter forbids commercial selling .... offering something for free is not a problem.

Reply to
Rick Hughes

In that case I still have a DeWalt DW215 Powershop radial arm saw for sale - cheap!

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

we have not got a charter... only the FAQ guideline.

Reply to
John Rumm

I can't see any moral difference between taking something on Freecycle then using it, and taking something on Freecycle then using the resale money. Dave W

Reply to
Dave W

In message , TheScullster writes

Absolutely not, even private sales are OK. Its commercial advertising which is not

Reply to
geoff

Who cares? Once you've given the stuff away, what difference does it make what they do with it? If you wanted to sell it, sell it yourself.

Reply to
Huge

Can't say I'd get too uptight about it if I found out. Life goes on.

But there are people - say, homeless - who are in genuine need of what Freecycle has to offer and really I'd like to think it goes to them. That's why people give to Freecycle, I'd guess - not for the money.

Rob

Reply to
Rob