surestop water switch

Hi,

Has anyone used the surestop water "switch" and if so, what are your opinions? I had a feeling that it was discussed a long, long time ago and they were not liked, though I can't remember why. I think it may have been because they push-fit onto the pipe and there was concern that they would push-off and flood the house.

Our stop c*ck is very inaccessible, being under the stairs, you have to remove the vacuum, ironing board, etc. to reach it, which is no good in an emergency. That is why I thought the surestop switch might be useful.

I bought a surestop a long time ago but only got round to fitting it today. At first I was a bit disappointed as when I switched the water off, water continued to flow from an open tap. However, I repeated the same test by switching off the water at the stop c*ck, and water continued to flow from the tap for roughly the same time, so I think the surestop is isolating the mains water and the water that escapes from the tap is built-up pressure and water that is in the plumbing within the house.

I am not sure whether to cut the tube to size once I have it where I want it, or whether to leave it at full length and coil the excess somewhere out of sight? Or whether you will advise me to throw it all away!

One thing that caught me out when I unplugged the "controller" to relocate it, water gushed everywhere.

TIA.

Reply to
Fred

Very happy with ours

Same here. The original stopcock is still there if needed, but for quick shut-offs the 'switch' works very well.

Reply to
Steve Walker

I fitted one recently and my only qualm was the "clunk" as it shut off the water that sounded like it could seriously stress a push-fit fitting. I added a couple of cable ties around the valve to prevent it blowing anything apart so now I feel a bit more comfortable about using it.

Tim

Reply to
Tim Downie

I've only ever fitted one & I didn't like the push fits either. I just don't 'trust' push fit despite the facts.

I trimmed the excess away. I didn't like the push in tubes much, they looked vulnerable to me so I cable tied them down.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman