Supports For Replacement Ceiling .

I've decided that I have lived with my tongue and grooved bathroom walls for long enough and am getting rid of them but firstly I want to dispose of the aluminium frame/fibre panelled false ceiling and replace it with a plasterboard ceiling with recessed lighting .

I have been searching for a posting that I saw a while back in which some had sought advice about the size of supports to use for a similar job but I cannot see it in Google Groups. I seem to remember him saying he was going to fix 50mm x 50mm timber all round the perimiter and then use 75mm x 50mm notched so that it hung on the 50mm x 50mm ( presumably secured by screws on top) ...at intervals suited to the size of board used . Does this sound an O.K. proposition ..

My ceiling is approx 1.4m across and there is about 60cm above to the "real " ceiling so there is plenty of room with regard to the LV downlighters that will be fitted .

I'll likely be doing this myself so I'll be using small sized p/board ( screwed then taped/joined ) for ease of lifting

Any suggestions appreciated .

Stuart

--

Shift THELEVER to reply.

Reply to
Stuart

Think this is the thread you mean (as I remember contributing!):

David

Reply to
Lobster

I did a similar job earlier this job on my open-plan kitchen / dining room (5m x 4m in total) and used 3x2 for the perimeter and joists. The perimeter was mounted using sleeve anchors and the joists with 'speedy hangars'. That, with all the noggins, 6x3 taped plasterboard and a skim coat have produced a solid, good looking, ceiling.

It sounds like you've got the plan in your head anyway, but if it's of any interest I have a few pictures of mine (pre-tape and skim) at:

Mathew Newton

Thx Mathew....Thankfully my job is a bit smaller than yours seems to be but I get the idea ....looks good

Stuart

--

Shift THELEVER to reply.

Reply to
Stuart

Why dont you attach the PB to the already existing ceiling and frame? Would sure save some work.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Because it is a loose fitting aluminium frame with fibre panles like you see in offices ....

Stuart

--

Shift THELEVER to reply.

Reply to
Stuart

I dont see that being a problem. It should be strong enough as is, and if not, adding a support or 2 can stiffen it right up. You can screw into either the fibre panels or the metal frame using nice and sharp PB screws, when you screw into the panels this will make them no longer loose, it will clamp everything into place. I would want to mainly screw into the frame though for max rigidity, just like you do with a wood frame. AFAICS it should all work fine, and save a lot of work. And materials.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

With respect I do not think you appreciate what sort of frame this is .nor what the panels are like .The frame is Only secured to the walls round the sides.The Cross pieces simply rest on these parts and then other lengths sit at right angles and the panels which are very lightweight fibre sit on top.

Believe me,if you could see it you wouldnt suggest this ..lol

Stuart

--

Shift THELEVER to reply.

Reply to