Supporting walls

I am in an old local authority property and have two old pantry cupboards (joined) in the kitchen which I would like to remove to provide more room for a fitted kitchen. As local authority houses are fairly well built these cupboards have solid brick walls.

Two questions:

1) How likely are these cupboards to be supporting walls?

2) How do I find out if there are or not? (don't say knock them down please!)

Pic 1 is outer view of cupboards:

Pic 2 is up inside view:

Does it really require the skills of an engineer to determine whether something is load bearing or not?

TIA

John

Reply to
Jonni

Upstairs(above) is the key to whats a load bearing wall in most case.

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

I've had experience of a very similar scenario; also ex-LA, also with two brick cupboards in the kitchen, and which I wanted to remove.

You need to lift enough floorboards in the rooms above to find out what's going on. In my case, I found that one of the walls had clearly been built as an after-thought, there were no joists over it, and I could see right along the gap between the floor joists over the cupboard (ie no evidence at all of the wall beneath). In fact once I'd removed the wall below I discovered that the plasterboard ceiling within the cupboard was continuous with the plasterboard over the rest of the ceiling which was a bonus. However, the second wall (more of a pier, really, as it formed an extension to the alcove adjacent to the chimney breast) was a different matter: one floor joist was obviously being held up by the brick pier below. In order to safely remove that wall, some jiggery-pokery was needed using metal joist hangers and a trimmer joist.

So the message must be: take care! They might not be load-bearing, but they might be. If in any doubt at all, 100 quid or so paid to a structural engineer would be very small beer compared to the consequences if you get it wrong.

Reply to
Lobster

What is holding up the end of the lintle that runs over the right hand side of the door?

Reply to
John Rumm

Very little, unless there's a reinforced beam running down between the door and the alcove!

Reply to
Steve Walker

No idea John, from looking at it, it would appear to be the 'middle' wall between the two cupboards..... not a good sign I suppose.

Reply to
Jonni

What kind of property is it? Semi? Maisonette? Flat?

Do you have access to the room above? Floorboards over joists or concrete floors?

Are the walls you want to remove a single brick thickness or something else?

Reply to
dom

Semi - these cupboards are on the opposite side of the house from the adjoining property.

Yes - my computer room, floorboards over joists.

They appear to be single brick width

Reply to
Jonni