Supporting CAT5 cable in celing void

Hi people, I know this is probably a bit OT, but I've been lumbered with doing a fairly big data cabling job at work.

I'm pretty happy with how I'm going to go about most of it as the office has skirting trunking around the perimeter which will house most of the cable runs, its just that in a couple of places I'm going to have to pass some bunches of cable in the space above the suspended ceiling.

I was just wondering if anyone had any opinions on the best way to support these, as I obviously don't want to just rest them on the ceiling tiles. Any ideas/suggestions greatly appreciated. A prize goes to the person who recommends the chosen design! (Well, not really, but you'll feel the warm glow of satisfaction at having helped someone out).

Cheers, Richard

Reply to
Richard Conway

Why not? This is fairly common IME.

Reply to
Grunff

String some steel cable across and attach the Cat5 with cable ties.

Reply to
Rob Morley

If money is no object, then cable tray would be the correct way for any type of cable.

Dave

Reply to
Dave Stanton

Many people do just that

Cable ties to whatever is holding the ceiling up is recommended.

Usually there are cable trays anyway, or pipework. Just loosely tie them to anything you can find with cable ties, after grouping them into bunches withe other ties first.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I would always use LSOH spec cable in a suspended ceiling void. Normal Cat5/6 does not meet this specification. It is required when the void is used for ventilation. However, this might not be apparent either way, so it is safest to just use it.

As to how to support the cables, it depends what the "real" ceiling is.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

Ah, if money were no object I wouldn't be doing it myself :)

Reply to
Richard Conway

No cable trays, probably some pipework and stuff but I'd probably prefer to put some fixings up myself so I can ensure they are strong enough for the job in question. Any ideas on fixings that you can screw into a concrete ceiling to hang cable ties from?

Reply to
Richard Conway

LOL point taken ;)

Dave

Reply to
Dave Stanton

In article , Richard Conway writes

Lay 'em on the ceiling tiles or string 'em up with some cable ties to whatever holds up the ceiling tiles and/or suspended ceiling.

No need to string them too tight or do the wraps up to braking point. CAT5 and what it carries is very robust, and you'd be hard pressed to c*ck it up.

You can get cable trays and such like if you want to waste money.....

Reply to
tony sayer

I usually put a cable tie loosley around the bundle of cables and then use another cable tie to the ceiling. It keeps everything neat and allows for some movement.

I bought a load of cable tie bases from ARD a while back

2-WAY ADHESIVE CABLE TIE BASE, 3.6MM (100 of) Product Code:

150-00116

They can be stuck to things but will need screwing into place if supporting a bundle of cables from above.

Reply to
Skier

Basket tray (plated steel wire trays) isn't that expensive IIRC.

The way we do it at work is to hang those off unistrut bolted into the concrete above, but any method of support that will take the weight (not a lot empty, but allow for cable) will do. Basket tray is fairly rigid so it supports can be a moderate distance apart.

HTH

Tim

Reply to
Tim S

The message from Richard Conway contains these words:

When I did this for Ladbrokes (nearly all the shops in the South East, installing the twelve TVs, computer, two monitors, keypads, aerial feed etc.) we just laid on on the tiles. Never had any trouble - and plenty of people before us had done the same and we didn't suffer from their having done it either.

Reply to
Guy King

Bugger screwing, get a Hilti gun

Owain

Reply to
Owain

As others suggest, just "dangle 'em"

I just ran cables through/over the "Y" shape left between the ceiling wire and the tail which, fortunately I left about 4" poking out when I put up the ceiling, modifying wire tail where required for support.

On the bits that really needed to higher I used lose cable ties through the screw-eyes that hold the ceiling wire (suspended) to the ceiling.

After all, it's not like it's on show or anything.

Reply to
PeTe33

on 18/04/2006, Richard Conway supposed :

The larger sizes of plastic trunking (3x3 or 4x4) is quite cheap, light and can be tied to the existing ceiling suspension wires for the long multiple cable runs. It will provide all the support needed and make it easy to add additional cables.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

The message from tony sayer contains these words:

And leave nice long coils neatly stashed away where each drop leaves the ceiling void. You'll be glad of it in the future when someone moves a desk or whatever.

Reply to
Guy King

Ah, big boys toy, awesome tool

Regards Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

May I refer you to my previous comment regarding money being an issue :)

Reply to
Richard Conway

Glue up some eyes with epoxy, or car body filer, or "no more bollocks".

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher