Support Rods.

Lidl are doing these again from the 19th.

They are sturdy telescopic (with positive locks) devices which will support up to 60 kg and extend from 1.6 - 2.9 mtrs. They have pivoted rubber covered pads at either end - one with a left hand and the other a right hand thread so you can 'jack' near anything up tightly by rotating the body. Great for putting up plasterboard on a ceiling on your own. Other thing I've found them useful for is going between two walls on a stairwell and leaning the top of the ladder on to get a better angle for the ladder. And at 9.99 a bit of a steal.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Damn! they've gone up - they were only about 8.50 last time they were on offer.

Still good value though, and quite sturdy - as long as you don't try to hold your house up with one!

Reply to
Roger Mills

advertised from 16th (in London at least - not that they'll have any in stock here come the day)

Reply to
neverwas

I've found quite the reverse. Lidl's ordering dept doesn't seem to have caught up with the recession and are over ordering. As a result, the bigger stores seem to still have stuff 'on offer' from weeks ago. I do tend to use the Clapham Junction one these days - it's not the closest but a decent size, and usually takes less time to checkout.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Well, not many people would be able to hold 80 kg above their head for long. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Jolly good they are too. I were using one today to hold up some 4m lengths of 75 x 50 timber to reinforce a carport roof from underneath.

If you work by yourself they are a godsend.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Anyone tried the Electric Scraper? Might be worth a punt at £15?

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Anyone used the 9.6V Cordless Precision Rotary Tool from there before? At £16.99 it seems too cheap to be of any use!

Oh and my Lidl has these offers from the 16th not sure if that applies to yours Dave?

Steven.

Reply to
Steven Campbell

The *MOST* essential tool for UK-DIY.....

Do they also come with the person on the right in the image? Curious place to keep your gloves, maybe her flies were broke? B-)

Also spotted the grout aplicator set, fungeboy for =A32.99?

Dave Liquorice

Yes - got one ages ago and it's fine for many things. A bit larger than a 'hobby' one but other than that fine. Observe the charging procedure though - the charger with mine is a crude one.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I've got a Bosch electric chisel which has a scraper blade and it has its uses. Think it's a similar idea.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Mine don't do that. The ends don't have threads, one end has a 'cartridge gun' type thing, so you fix the rough length by using the 'tent' type pole locking device, then pull the trigger to adjust for the last bit.

And why are they called 'a deadman'?

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Right. Mine are as described and the pic on the site looks like the ones on sale next week are identical. I'm not familiar with tent poles, but these use a ratchet for setting the rough length and the ratchet release has a lock on it too.

Rigor mortis?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Oh. Not seen those. Mine have a 'tube inside a tube'. The outer tube has

4 holes in it and the inner tube has a spring loaded catch that engages in one of the holes, so you have 4 rough positions to start with, the the sealant gun ratchet takes up the rest.
Reply to
The Medway Handyman

These have the ratchet holes spaced about 5mm apart along the entire length of the moving pole. They are very well thought out and made - and I'd not been surprised to see Machine Mart etc selling them at three times the Lidl price.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Got myself a couple of these even although I had bought 2 of their previous support poles. I must say these are more substantial than the old type but I much prefer the old type for the ratchet / trigger mechanism for expanding the poles. Not sure about turning the new poles to expand them although it might be ok once I test them for real.

Steven.

Reply to
Steven Campbell

How does the trigger grip? Can only be friction if infinitely adjustable. Prefer the security of threads. You can also apply rather more pressure - I'd guess. And the ratchet mechanism on the new ones is very much finer - about 5mm between clicks.

But I haven't tried the old ones. Just that the design was probably changed for a reason.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

The old design is not to dissimilar to this

know what you mean re friction holding it and you are correct. It works on the same principle as one of those quick grip vices
suppose that will be why the old ones are only guaranteed up to 30Kg as opposed to 60Kg for the new ones.

Good find ;o)

Cheers

Steven.

Reply to