suppliers of solid core cable low gauge

Hello,

I am looking for a solid, single core, cable, a few millimetres in diameter, perhaps 2 mm to 4mm? It is for a toy. The diameter is not too critical but I looked at tables and see that 8 SWG and 6 AWG are both about 4 mm diameter, so something like that might be good.

Where could I buy something like this from? I guess thick cables are rare and when they are used they are often stranded.

It doesn't have to be copper. I suppose fence wire could be used. I would like it to be electrically conductive and not too hard to shape. Ideally I would like it without insulation but I suppose removing insulation would not be the end of the world.

I wondered about enamelled copper. I've not used that before. How do you remove the enamel?

Thanks.

Reply to
Stephen

In message , Stephen writes

Gently scrape it with a craft knife, aka Stanley, or a bit of emery cloth. It's easy enough not to worry about.

URW

Reply to
Bill

Fence wire is usually quite stiff, if your project can cope with that then maybe an easier source would be a wire coat hanger.

G.Harman.

Reply to
damduck-egg

CPC and/or Rapd Recall should have what you want, though the choice of solid may be a bit limited. 8 and 6 gauge are *thick* by electronics standards.

Standard mains T&E isn't all that thick, would 1, 1.5 or 2.5 sq mm suit you? It's easy enough to remove the outer sheath leaving you with single core cable. 2.5sq mm is the biggest that comes as single though.

CPC and Rapid Recall will also sell reels of enamelled copper and also probably tinned copper. Usually one removes the enamel mechanically, scrape it off or use fine emery. Tinned you obviously don't need to but it's not insulated.

Reply to
cl

With fire! When wanting to tin the ends it was usual to dip them in meths then set fire to it and rub the residue off with a rag ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

I've got a substantial drum of 2mm diameter enamelled copper wire left over from a project. If you only need a few metres you are welcome to some. The enamel is usually scraped or burned off or, with modern cables, usually melts while soldering.

Reply to
Peter Parry

Lots and lots of all sorts of wire here:

mick

Are not all cables able to conduct electricity apart from the fibre optical ones:-)

Reply to
ARW

In message , Stephen writes

Ebay of course :-)

E.G. This seller (there are probably others) has all sorts of sizes up to 5mm of plain copper wire

Reply to
Chris French

I'm not sure that you would want to do the massage if you want more than

1m long though.

For short lengths you can use brazing rods, they tend to be stiffer than copper and may oxidise less if the correct one is chosen.

Reply to
dennis

Welding rods?

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

Don't say that to a yachtsman.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

Eileens Emporium.

Reply to
Jim White

Stick of hard silver solder

Reply to
F Murtz

Thank you. I had thought of using a coat hanger when I thought about doing this before, some months ago, and in the intervening time I had forgot. It is something to consider. Probably useful to keep a few in stock for other DIY purposes too. I wonder if you can still get plain wire hangers or if they are all plastic coated now?

Reply to
Stephen

One of the ideas I had was to make one of those toys where you have a bent wire and have to move a hoop along it without touching it and sounding a buzzer. I've seen kits in the shops for less than £10 but though it would be more fun to get the children to make their own completely from scratch.

I think it would need to be a decent diameter to make the wire rigid enough to withstand knocks in use.

Would bare copper tarnish? I suppose tinned copper would avoid that and look prettier.

I think that the largest sizes I could find were 16awg at cpc and

14awg at maplin. I think the 14awg is 2mm diameter and I made the mistake of wondering why use this when I could use 2.5mm T&E. But I have now realised that of course the 2.5mm T&E is 2.5mm in area, not diameter, so the 14 awg cable will be thicker.

Thanks for all the replies so far, Stephen.

Reply to
Stephen

I was wondering whether a blow torch could be used to run along the length?

Reply to
Stephen

Thanks: a useful web site. I notice the thickest cable is polyester coated and described as non-solderable. Why can't it be soldered and if it can't be soldered, what's the point of it - is it for non-electrical use or is it crimped instead?

Reply to
Stephen

Thanks, I will look into this. I've not brazed before, so didn't know they existed.

Reply to
Stephen

Piano wire from a model shop will net you steel wire which can be softened by heating and slow cooling.

enamelled copper and tinned copper is a stock electronic item.

I think silver can be obtained from jewelry craft places.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher