Supplementary bonding and testing

I know that suppementary bonding has been done to death but we're in the process of selling our house and the purchasers have had an electrical inspection. One of the items uncovered is 'No supplementary bonding found in bathroom' which he has classified as 'requires urgent attention'. The purchasers are using this as a lever on price.

I've just fished out my copy of the 16th edition regs which classifies this shortcoming as 'requires improvement' but can anyone tell me whether this classification changed in the 17th edition regs?

Any insight greatly appreciated.

Phil

Reply to
PhilB

The main change with the 17th edition is that the supplementary bonding may be omitted in bathrooms if

  1. The main equipotential bonding meets current standards.
  2. All electrical circuits to the bathroom have 30mA RCD protection.

It is your call as to how you wish to meet the regs (16th or 17th) if the buyer is playing up.

Cheers

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

No bonding found does not necessarily mean none present - unless you know differently? Even if none is present could you install it yourself using 4mm green-yellow singles or have a local electrician do the job for you without incurring extensive decor problems? What it comes down to is how desperate are you to sell. The 17th edition also provides for omitting supplementary bonding provided main bonding is present and all bathroom circuits are 30mA RCD protected. Has your consumer unit RCD provision or could you replace the light mcb with an RCBO and if no other circuits are present that should cover the situation. If there are other circuits RCBO them as well.

Reply to
cynic

Thanks both, that's very helpful. There is no bonding there but as you say, either supplying it or an RCBO would fix it. Phil

Reply to
PhilB