"superquilt" roof insulation.

I have just seen some 25mm quitled roof insulation, that says it acheives 0.2 U value, its about the same price as 100mm kingspan, which is also about the same U value.

Does it work ?

Its goona be much easier "materials handeling" than kingspan, and thinner.

Neither product I have seen claims a BBA certificate. I am not sure a BBA certificate means much, I have had products with certificates fails, and the BBA arn't intereted ...

Rick

Reply to
Rick

I too was interested in this last year. However I'm yet to be convinced.

The opposition don't agree.... see..

response to this the company in question had some independent testing done. Last December I asked them for details of how the test were done. They sent me ...

?R6EA537EAHowever these do not describe the test in detail or how it's performed...

When I pressed them for details they said....

"Sorry, no, these are not for public release"

I have no idea if there have been any further developments dince Dec 04....

Roy

Reply to
RzB

not bubblewrap is it?

Put it this way, you know insulation works by trapping air and keeping it still... what is so vastly superior about this product compared to glass wool? How exactly does 1" of it trap and keep still more air?

NT

Reply to
bigcat

My thoughts exactly. It does have many (6-8) layers of silver foil, which only deals with raidiant heat, not convected heat. It also uses closed cell foam, which traps air better than glass wool, which is very similar if not the same as some foam packaging you get.

The thing that really gets me thinking, is that you need to seal joins between sheets, which makes it waterproof, but it also requires a roofing felt above (25mm or more), and a vapor barror below (25 mm or more), it also says in the insulation manual it needs 25mm above and beolow, which make you think its also using the insulation of 50mm of free air ..............

I also checked the performance report the vendor gave me, against the people who he told me wrote it. I am not saying its fake, but the specalisims of the authors are not insulation .............

Rick

Reply to
Rick

There's been a lot of debate about this stuff and the methods used for testing it. A lot of heat loss is by radiation and the multilayers of foil separated by foam cut this rather dramatically. It's not cheap but if your space is limited it could be a good option. In the cryogenics field where vessels containing liquid nitrogen or even colder substances need to be kept very insulated from the environment, multifoil blankets consisting of 30 layers of foil and paper per inch are used.

Reply to
Biff

Yes.. What concerns me is that it does not seem possible to get details of exactly how they do the testing of this stuff. If they published the details of the method and the results it would help me make up my mind. See my earlier post..

Roy

Reply to
RzB

I used something which sounds similar to this on my loft room. It's called Tri Iso Super 9 made by a French company called Actis.

The previous owners had boarded under the rafters and partially insulated with polystyrene, but it was freezing in the winter. I didn't fancy ripping it all out and installing celotex between the rafters, or installing celotex under the rafters as that would have lost too much height. Then I found out about the Tri Iso Super 9. I just stapled it to the existing plasterboard, put battens on top, then more plasterboard. I've only lost about 3 inches of height and the room is significantly warmer than before. To be fair, the extra warmth is probably also due to better draught proofing and repositioning the radiator.

Fergal

Reply to
Fergal

I'm waiting for IMM to post his opinion, then we will know for sure.

Reply to
NickFinnigan

More or less correct, see

Martin Evans

We won't you know...!

see

Lobster

Is it independently tested? If not then give it a miss. A lot of money for bubble wrap.

to open account

Reply to
Doctor Evil

But Tri Iso Super 9 made by a French company called Actis is not bubble wrap. If you study it from the point of view of a theoretical physisist you may conclude the manufacturer's claims are likely to be correct.

Making your own with several layers of cooking foil and craft paper would, of course, be much cheaper.

Reply to
Biff

They claim the equiv of 200mm of Rockwoll in performance. No independent test confirms this. A foam maker slags it but will not give full details of their test. The jury is out. One organisation in Florida concluded that radiant barriers are good for keeping heat out, in the attic. Other tests in the US say is performs badly in cold climates. Any benefits are likely to be draft proofing and a small amount of insulation from the bubble wrap. Very expensive for so little. Beware!!!!

And probably as effective as the vastly overpriced Tri Iso.

If this stuff does what they say, It would have it in the loft tomorrow.

to open account

Reply to
Doctor Evil

If the main transfer mode of the heat being lost is radiant then the stuff works very well. But if the main loss mode is through convection it won't.

In a vacuum the first is true and I would imagine some satellites are insulated with something like this.

Reply to
Mike

It has been independantly tested.

Reply to
NickFinnigan

"NickFinnigan"

I was interested in Tri-Iso9 last year and was told it had been independently tested. However I was unable to get the details of how the test was conducted... I was told ...

"Sorry, no, these are not for public release"

Does not give me a warm feeling (no pun intended..:-)

Roy

Reply to
RzB

Do you have a reference to this please ?

Reply to
Mike

Martin Evans pointed to a Celotex pdf that refers to 2 tests.

Reply to
NickFinnigan

Yes - those showed the stuff was dodgy. I was wondering if you had something that showed it actually did work without bending the testing.

Reply to
Mike

They supposedly tested two hot box houses in France. Apart from that little else of the test. It is not independently tested and verified by a credible organisation. Just wild claims.

to open account

Reply to
Doctor Evil