Super heavy snow?

About 8 inches just south in Sheffield. Nearly all gone now.

Rob

Reply to
RJH

ARW

Council houses.

Reply to
ARW

which sounds more plausible as a cantilevered carport could pull out a

Difficult to tell by the pic, but is it a timber frame house where the brickwork ain't load bearing? If so, it wouldn't take much to break it.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

On Sunday 27 January 2013 12:25 Dave Plowman (News) wrote in uk.d-i-y:

It's a cavity wall, block inner. So the outer skin is not so strong given it supports no load (usually) so there's not much bearing down on it to keep the bricks from tipping over. Especially with a gable end...

Sadly, it seems the wall ties were *extremely* structural, given the port falling over has torn the inner blocks off too.

Either that or it was anchored right through both leaves.

Reply to
Tim Watts

On Sunday 27 January 2013 11:08 ARW wrote in uk.d-i-y:

By council, do you mean Building Control - or are these council houses, in which case I wonder if the council actually had these fitted rather than the occupiers? That would be very interesting...

Reply to
Tim Watts

On Sunday 27 January 2013 11:08 ARW wrote in uk.d-i-y:

OK - ignore part of my earlier question...

But I still wonder if it was the occupiers who fitted these or the council?

Reply to
Tim Watts

As they were tied into the wall, they must have been put up when the houses were built. There is flushing along the wall above the joint.

Reply to
Kenny

Were they though? To me it looks like they were just bolted to the outer skin.

Reply to
Andy Burns

"Weight of snow", my arse - more like pissed builders and no cement in the mortar.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

road and woke everyone up, with people thinking it was an earthquake or a gas explosion."

Some incredibly stupid neighbours.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

South Yorkshire Housing not Barnsley Council (aka Berneslai Homes), my mistake.

Reply to
ARW

Didn't know it was in the Black country.

Reply to
Andy Burns

On Sunday 27 January 2013 15:04 ARW wrote in uk.d-i-y:

I DO hope Builing Control are taking an interest...

Reply to
Tim Watts

it would not pass any competent building inspector.

Either it had struts which were removed, or it was installed by a frigging mate with no clue about structural design.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

that doesn't follow at ALL. easy enouh to add flashing and tie into an existing structure.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

In article , Mike Tomlinson writes

Neighbours near my former house had a cantilevered carport; I always thought it looked to be held up by optimism. I helped a friend put up one of those retractable sunblinds (-rather like a shop blind). I was very doubtful about the fixing method which was a couple of rag bolts about 200mm apart vertically at each end. It didn't seem enough to take the load when the blind was fully out. I asked on here for advice and also phoned the suppliers; they said it was OK. A couple of years later it's still up, but I reckon a strong wind or a few inches of snow would bring it down.

Reply to
Chris Holford

Its retractable for a reason.

Reply to
dennis

>> which sounds more plausible as a cantilevered carport could pull out a

Gable ends aren't usually load bearing. The roof is supported at the ends of the trussed rafters. Sometimes the floor is supported but not always.

Reply to
dennis

And what is more, it will actually weaken the wall[1] making it less able to withstand exactly the kind of force it was going to exert on it.

[1] Raking half of a whole mortar course to insert the edge of the flashing.
Reply to
John Rumm