Sunk?

The Navy have objected to a planned wind turbine in south Devon, saying it will affect a military radar.

Reply to
Artic

Ah, so all an enenemy needs to do then is drop a lot of wind turbines near our coast and we will never see the big one coming. I thought secrets like this were kind of official? Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Every heard of "window"?

Reply to
charles

The dropping of wind turbines, albeit little tiddly ones, to degrade radar has long been in the public arena. See "chaff" and "window" (the aluminium foil rather than the double glazed variety).

Reply to
Peter Parry

Ha! Foiled again. :-)

Reply to
polygonum

.-)

Reply to
Bob Eager

Aren't the blades made of fibreglass?

Reply to
Fredxx

Still you can't help but feel the Apache pictured might have a very quick and effective solution to dealing with such a problem ;-)

Reply to
John Rumm

This bizarre decision in Lancashire:

John M

Reply to
JTM

It's probably the military low flying and radar together with civil ATC radar that keep the dman things at bay around here.

"An MoD spokesman said: "Each wind turbine planning application is considered on its merits and assessed on a case by case basis.

"Every wind turbine planning application is subjected to a technical and operational assessment to determine if the proposed turbine(s) will have a detrimental effect on MoD assets and operations."

It does seem rather smelly. I hope the farmers are sniffing about for connections.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

When I woz a lad the local market purveyors of all sorts of ex-WD hardware used to sell little rolls of aluminium foil (about the same size as modern pvc tape) which I have always assumed were "window". Gardeners used to use it as bird scarers.

Reply to
newshound

A bit obvious. How about a night exercise for the students just a little way up the river.

Reply to
newshound

carbon fibre

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Ah, perhaps if they were made of fibreglass their radar signature would be pretty minimal.

Reply to
Fredxx

Along with their power output....

Reply to
news

In article , Artic

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

A bit of carbon fibre and an absolute shed load of glass.

Reply to
The Other Mike