Summerhouse rain water

A friend has just completed the instalation of a hexagonal summerhouse and it starting to think about guttering. I suggested not bothering. It got him thinking - at what point is it worth fitting guttering? Without guttering should he dig a bit of a trench around the foundation slab and fill it with something to absorb some of the water and prevent spashback on the walls?

Any ideas?

Reply to
DerbyBorn

gurre8ing is there to avoid issues with water streaming down walls and splashing back onto walls.

IF you have a decent overhang of a foot or more and gravel or soil round, then you won't need gutters.

Nut any hard surface like paving is very bad for splashing

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

These are called "french drains", BTW

Reply to
Huge

Fit the guttering.

I originally didn't on our summer house - one side decking, the other 3 sides gravel. Very soon a trench appeared in the gravel and the decking had a visible line. Also the sides & windows were getting splashed.

I got the half-size guttering - it was easy to fit, the corners just clip together.

Gordon

Reply to
Gordon Henderson

Gordon Henderson pretended :

That is what I used on our summer house. It collects the water and feeds it into a barrel with a tap, so it can be used for watering cans. Set much higher than the tap, I fitted a restricted drain, which allow the surplus water to drain away slowly, to the land of an adjacent nature reserve. Finally and at the very top of the container is an unrestricted over flow draining to the same land.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield