Suitable lighting transformer sought for child's light

Hi all Have been passed on something to 'renovate' - a childs lamp with rotating inner screen, driven by the heat of the small lamp fitted. A bit like:

seems to have been an inline 12V transformer which has been lost. The remaining cable has a small two-pin plug at the end - a bit like the one at the end of some Christmas tree lights, from memory.

If I decide it's worth getting going, any suggestions as to a source of suitable transformer? SELV 12V lighting transformers seem easy and cheap to find, but bearing in mind 'nursery use' I'm not sure about little fingers getting to the terminals. I guess I could try to scavenge a suitable transformer from elsewhere but I presume the original would have been cheap cr*p and would like to find something better. Haven't seen anything yet from an internet trawl etc.

Thanks for any pointers

J^n

Reply to
The Night Tripper

There seems to have been an inline 12V transformer which has been lost. The remaining cable has a small two-pin plug at the end - a bit like the one at the end of some Christmas tree lights, from memory.

+++++

Without seeing it, but given the description, it sounds like it could be a

12V halogen. If it is then you can get transformers from any electrical supplier but you will probably need to pop into Maplins or similar and get a suitable plastic case because the transformers are normally expected to be in roof space and are not "small child's finger-proof".

Of course I could be totally wrong, but checking the bulb for marking will tell you. I believe you should NOT touch the bulb directly with your fingers as acid from your fingers will eventually destroy the bulb.

If it is a halogen then you can also buy replacement transformers "wall-wart" transformers, but when I looked they were expensive and it wasn't clear they had the correct connectors so I went for the cheap option to repair our halogen "piano light".

Paul DS Using Windows Live Mail 2012 - no, don't laugh!

Reply to
Paul D Smith

Garden lighting transformer, Bell transformer, of course some research needed on the voltage. the now defunct Ring lighting company used to make 12 volt transformers in nice sealed boxes. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Given the environment and load any cheap double insulated unregulated about 12v supply ought to do provided it can source the required current. I'd guess at between 1 and 2A from the context. DIY of a mains adapter to DC can no longer be recommended in this litigious era.

BTW I doubt it is a halogen bulb in that sort of configuration - and if it is then it would be a fire risk!

isn't far too off what you want and relatively cheap. (but check the bulbs actual current requirements)

Reply to
Martin Brown

If it's anything like the one my kids had, the little motor will need 12V AC - take a look and see whether there are obvious motor brushes to suggest it's DC. My kids' one had a small synchronous motor with a gearbox built into the end to give the slow rotation.

If AC, then as suggested a doorbell transformer should do the job - get one the same rating as the bulb plus a couple of watts for the motor.

Dave H. (the other one)

Reply to
news.virginmedia.com

The OP has said the rotation is by the rising hot air from the lamp.

Reply to
Graham.

What is the wattage of the lamp?

Reply to
Graham.

Yes, that was my impression re. the transformers; I was hoping not to have to get an extra enclosure.

The lamp isn't a halogen, it's a Small Edison Screw 20W 12V bulb - sewing machine bulb, perhaps?

I am thinking about finding something suitable from my collection of old wall warts and fitting that - if (big if) I decide it's actually worth pursuing. I may be a bit too keen on my role as 'Grandad who fixes everything...'

Cheers J^n

Reply to
The Night Tripper