suitable finish for wooden handrails ?

I am giving the hall stairs and landing a smarten-up and wondered what a good option is for finishing pine hand rails and mahogany hand rails.

The pine is a bit grubby, probably because it was never sealed originally, so was going to lightly sand down to get back to clean bare wood, but worried that varnishing will wear through over time, making it look tatty again - or maybe this takes years to wear through ?

Thanks,

Nick

Reply to
Nick

A polyurethane varnish would probably be best. Ronseal or the like. If you don't want a high gloss you can get such things in matt or satin. Sand it as smooth as you can. Put on three to five coats with a rub down with fine paper between the last three and it'll look good and last for years.

Peter Scott

Reply to
Peter Scott

Hi Peter

Thanks for the reply - Have got some of that so will set to and do as you suggest -

Many thanks,

Nick

Reply to
Nick

I can vouch for this. I did pretty much exactly this with a victorian mahogany handrail about 18 months ago using Ronseal - still looks great. Be careful where you put the varnish tin as you work. I had a little mishap involving me tripping backwards over it and cascading varnish down the stairs. Luckily this was before the staircase was carpeted.

Reply to
Martin Pentreath

Coo that could have been nasty if you'd got knocked out and woken up with it dry and you glued to the stairs!

Peter Scott

Reply to
Peter Scott

IMHO pine looks orrible uless painted. Good quality yacht varnish is tough..

Otherwise polyurethane varnish for mahogany.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Having once superglued my bare foot to the kitchen vinyl I can vouch for the immense feelings of stupidity when ones spouse arrives an hour later to find you still immobile.

Reply to
Skipweasel

Danish oil (mostly oil, a small addition of varnish). Screwfix sell a decent one.

The benefit over a pure varnish is that it improves with age, rather than flaking and looking terrible. Future refinishing is easy, just go over it lightly with a green Scotchbrite pad to clean it, then re-oil.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

How did you get free? You can't have waited for several days till the skin went dead and you could pull your foot away. Or did you......?

Reply to
Peter Scott

or are you walking around with a tile stuck to your foot ?

Nick

Reply to
Nick