Suitable bath taps for combi boilers

At present we have a Potterton combi boiler which we are replacing with the new one, so I'm not totally unfamiliar with the operation of it. However, I am hoping to buy the correct mixer taps for our new replacement ( uninstalled yet ) combi boiler. I have read the info on Comibination Boilers by CliveE, David Shepherd and others and have learned much. However, the more one learns, the more one needs to learn.

Combi works on mains pressure, which I am told is about 3 bar (but can vary from area to area) and is high pressure according to David Shepherd. I am going to display my total ignorance of plumbing by asking this question: if mains pressure is high, why, according to an adviser from Tapstore.com, are wall mounted taps designed for 3 bar pressure not suitable for combi boilers, as he says that such boilers require 1-1.5 bar? I am looking at the Crosswater Design 3 or 4 hole Bath set and if some kind person could see whether this particular tap is suitable for combi boilers, I would be extremely grateful. Thanks. LianeP

Reply to
First Network

The "advisor" is getting confused. The combi boiler's secondary circuit will be pressurised to 1-1.5bar. However, this is an utter irrelevence. The tap's requirements will be based on your mains supply pressure. 3 bar seems a very high amount to require, but you may find you have it anyway. You will need to a pressure gauge connected to your existing kitchen tap to determine what you have available. If it is above 6 bar, you should install a PRV (pressure reducing valve), as excessively high pressure can cause problems.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle