Suitability of dimmer switches

Mother-in-law is looking for new light fittings for a couple of rooms but her final choice will be decided by the decorative design of the fittings, rather than what sort of lamps are used.

There are currently dimmer switches fitted in those rooms and I seem to vaguely remember that not all lamps are suitable for use on dimmers - or perhaps that should be that dimmers are not suitable for use with all lamps?

Anyway, anything we should be aware of?

TIA

Reply to
Dave

Most CFL (Compact fluorescent - low energy) lamps can't be dimmed. Some LED ones can be.

Reply to
charles

on 11/06/2013, charles supposed :

Thanks Charles

Reply to
Dave

charles put finger to keyboard:

Halogen are another dimmable option, although I've seen them die prematurely due to fairly low levels of vibration.

Reply to
Scion

Scion presented the following explanation :

Thank you Scion

Reply to
Dave

for both you can get special dimmers, normal dimmers will blow LEDs not sure what will happen with CFLs but I doubt they'll work.

Halogens work with dimmers but sometimes the blowest wattage marked on the dimmers might mean you can't dim all the way down.

Reply to
whisky-dave

Thanks for that Whiskey-Dave, cheers

Reply to
Dave

We have dimmers for LED and Halogen lights - and in all but the highest loaded circuit (3 * 60W) the dimmers have started to fail.

We have

3 * LED 1 * halogen (2 off) 2 * halogen (2 off)

and all are showing lesser or greater symptoms.

So check carefully with your supplier.

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David.WE.Roberts

Ah right, cheers Dave

Reply to
Dave

meow2222

Older, conventional dimmers, won't dim LEDs (but there are some exceptions). Most dimmable LEDs (and they have to be designed as 'dimmable') need a trailing-edge dimmer. Most CFLs can't be dimmed, but never having bought any dimmable ones I don't know for sure how fussy they might be. I wouldn't put CFLs or LEDs of any sort on a dimming circuit without making sure there's compatability. Could be expensive.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Yes it's best if you constantly hit them with a hammer.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

He's not Irish.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

Bill Wright put finger to keyboard:

Lol the ones I had didn't need that, a couple of heavy footsteps on the floor above did them in.

Reply to
Scion